Jarrow Life

Full Version: Durham Miners Gala 10th July 2010
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Durham Miners Gala or 'Big Meet' as some call it ,is truly one event not to be missed.
So make a note in your Diary for Saturday 10th July 2010 Durham City...
From the brilliant Parade of Miners Banners to the sights and sounds of the many Brass Bands .Event will start around 9-30am but will go on throughout the day..truly a great family event.
And dont forget to take your camera...

http://www.thisisdurham.com
A friend of mine was there today in support of the Brewery workers (his words not mine)Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin
I've still got my Badge from the N.U.M.,It was a struggle being on strike for a full year,but not to worry you can alway's get by somehow.
tedg Wrote:A friend of mine was there today in support of the Brewery workers (his words not mine)Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

Do they still have the Miners Gala at Durham? I thought when the pits closed they stoped haveing them.
Obviousley YES Mary. It was on saturday.
tedg Wrote:Obviousley YES Mary. It was on saturday.

well tedg if you had posted it I might have gone, thank you.
Durham Miners Gala
2nd Saturday in July
Since 1871
It was the 126th on Saturday
I take it the 12 missing years would have been the war years
i.e. 1914 to 1918 (5) and 1939 to 1945 (7)
And as we all know the vast majority of our Miners done their bit and volunteered in both World Wars
But that's another story ..............
tedg Wrote:A friend of mine was there today in support of the Brewery workers (his words not mine)Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

SmileHi Ted, many thanks for posting the brilliant photos, you can see that yet again thousands turned out for the parade..cheers Cait
fisherman Wrote:I've still got my Badge from the N.U.M.,It was a struggle being on strike for a full year,but not to worry you can alway's get by somehow.

Cheers for posting the badge image fisherman, wonder how many others have still got theirs.
Truly cant imagine what it was like for the workers and their families when the strike was on..true grit and community spirit they say helped to keep spirits up during the tough times. Cait
Mary Wrote:Do they still have the Miners Gala at Durham? I thought when the pits closed they stoped haveing them.

SmileHi Mary the Gala is held every year on the same saturday....for many its the only time they get to meet up with old friends from all over the area.

I remember one year the Sunday Sun reported that not many had turned out..aahh!! what a fib that was as I was with friends on the March and the City of Durham was heaving with thousands of families and individuals.
So make a note for next years event..cheers CaitSmile
Pages: 1 2 3