trying tofind
Hi,I'll see what I can do for you in the meantime,but I'll go to Jarrow next week and have a word with Ken Goss,I might be wrong but the hospital you refer to may have been what was known as The Fever Hospital on Primrose Terrace.
primrose terrace runs across the bottom of lumley and the st. Claire's hospice did years ago be a fever hospital.good luck in your search, the members will be on the case they are a very dedicated lot and i'm sure will have good news soon for you.
all i can say is thankyou so much and il wait to hear from you.dad always said geordies are the best, most friendliest people and you lot are certainly proving that.thanks again,speak to you soon.
If her name was Olive Parker, there is a marriage record for her on the South Tyneside Register Office records site. ???
mrniel2010 Wrote:thanks for your replies everyone.To fisherman & tobylite ,could i ask if either of you have any details of how to contact ken? goss, i have tried looking for jarrow & hebburn historical society ,but no joy.

im still pretty much an amatuer at this and the going is pretty slow.

can i also ask if anyone remembers a sanitorium(or convalescent home) in jarrow,i found out my dads mum,olive davis &her newborn son david, died of tuberculosis, and that she may have spent time in one. were there any near to lumley terrace or surrounding areas. this would have been around 1945,my dad was 18months old.

Olive may have had the surname:walker, or davis.
we have been told that she may have married george walker,& this may have been why he ended up with elizabeth ann walker raising him.

very sorry to prattle on about this, its like looking for a needle in a haystack and just when you think you are getting somewhere you hit a wall.im gutted for my dad,having to continually ask him questions is quite upsetting for us both,but i will keep on trying and would realy like to thank all at jarrow life for your help and friendliness towards us,and if anyone could put me in touch with mr Goss we would be very greatful.

Primrose hill hospial on Primrose terrace, is where the sanitarium was, It is now St Clares Hospis,But in1945 I think it might still have been a fever hospital, It was not till the late 1940's or early1950's when it became a sanitarium, but I do know by 1959 it had become a geriatric hospial, as I worked there then.
Hi mrneil2010, Jarrow & Hebburn historical society has no website, but they meet every wednesday at the Mid Tyne Activities Centre 115 Grange Rd Jarrow Tyne & Wear NE32 3QW Tel No 0191 4206010 between 10 am & 12 noon. Hope this helps a little bit more.
TobyLite Wrote:Hi mrneil2010, Jarrow & Hebburn historical society has no website, but they meet every wednesday at the Mid Tyne Activities Centre 115 Grange Rd Jarrow Tyne & Wear NE32 3QW Tel No 0191 4206010 between 10 am & 12 noon. Hope this helps a little bit more.
I know a few people that attend here,I'm going to pop down next wednesday to see If I can get any Info,Ken Goss who's in the history group is not the same Goss that lived in Lumley Tce. But as I say we'll see what turn's up.
From the Southtyneside site. Hope it's the correct people. Smile Please let me know.
1944 Marriages
Olive DAVIS Durham S. E. 10a 290
George WALKER Durham S.E. 10a 290
1944 birth
John Arthur WALKER
Register: 9
Entry: 131
District: DNE/Jarrow

1946 deaths
David WALKER
Register: 7
Entry: 226
Grace Emily WALKER
Register: 8
Entry: 55
Mary WALKER
Entry: 472
Sheila WALKER
Entry: 328
mrniel2010 Wrote:hi,am wondering if anyone remembers johnny walker,who lived at 33 lumley terrace,primrose estate,from 1944 till 1960. lived with his nan ,elizabeth ann walker,went to st.bedes school,harold street? i am now 66 and still trying to find who my mother and father were.if anybody can help it would be appreciated.

my best mate growing up was angus black,who now lives in south africa.
Here's a photo of the house for you.

Attached Files
.jpg   IMG_9034.JPG (Size: 483.52 KB / Downloads: 25)
I am researching the McNulty Family, which I have traced back to my GGGfather Patrick,from Co.Fermanaugh, I have also traced the Families that married McNulty 's.
Scullion, Shiels, McLaughlin, Murray, Moffatt, Maloy, Rodgers, these are a few of the names.
I am a member of the Essex Society for Family History, and we help Members , and the Public with problems they have with their Family History, We also do Family History Days in the Essex Libraries, Have stalls at Family History Fairs in and around the South East.