jarrow civic hall
Has anybody got any pictures of the former Jarrow Civic Hall? Especially any pictures before the two bits were put on the front either side of the entrance door. I am doing a project on the Civic Hall and would like to see what it looked like before thoses add ons on the front.
John K
There's one on here here's the link
http://www.jarrowlife.co.uk/album.php?albumid=92&pictureid=936

What a shame the building today looks a mess...the old photo view from years ago is brilliant and shows the building did look smart at one time.
tedg Wrote:There's one on here here's the link
http://www.jarrowlife.co.uk/album.php?albumid=92&pictureid=936
great photo tedg
Cait Wrote:What a shame the building today looks a mess...the old photo view from years ago is brilliant and shows the building did look smart at one time.

The building was spoilt when they put an extention on the side which made it look an eyesore. The main shape of the building is still there . If it was restored it could look spectacular once again. beckstevieb
Hi,
I couldn't say too much on my original thread. The reason for the 'project' on the civic hall is that I had put an offer in to the local authority to buy it. They confirmed last week that they have accepted my offer so the building should be mine by early January next year.
My proposal for the building is to bring it back into use for its original purpose i.e. as a function room upstairs and offices and small workshops etc. downstairs.
I have a restaurateur who is interested in opening a buffet style Indian restaurant on one side of the downstairs and another restaurateur who is interested in opening a chinese restaurant on the other side of the downstairs.
I will be setting up a website in the next few weeks dedicated to the Civic Hall and will be taking sugestions for the use of the Ballroom. I have some ideas of my own but will be interested to see what others would want to see it used for.
Meantime if you want to see what the inside looks like now, I have put a page on one of my websites to show some pictures and give some information about the plans for it.
Regarding the carbuncles that were put on the front of the building either side of the entrance, these were to enable toilets to be added. Unfortunately I cannot think of anyway I can remove these. We may be able to more tastefully blend these in to the building somehow.
I would welcome any comments from interested parties on how best we can restore the property. I am giving serious consideration to removing the suspended ceiling in the ballroom and renovating the original ceiling, finances permitting. Feel free to pass this message on, I would like as many people as possible to take an interest in the redevelopement of The Civic and would welcome any suggestions. Incidently there would have been a strong possibility of the Hall being demolished by developers if I had not made a successful offer and proposal for the building.
The local Authority should be commended for accepting my offer to bring the building back into use for the local community. They could probably have got more for the building allowing it to be demolished but chose to go with my offer and proposal. I am very grateful for that and will endevour to make sure they do not regret that decision.
John Knowles
Congratulations John, I wish you every success with your venture. I am sure the wise folk on this site will come up with ideas. It is difficult to decide with the town already having a community centre and mid-tyne activities centre, but a decent "foodie" place would be nice. Best of luck.
Well done John and congratulations on your venture.

It's a pleasure to have you as a member on this site for what you are doing for our town.

I'm sure when Admin logs in he'll link your website to this grand website.

Once again thanks.
CoolCoolWell done John I wish you every success in your venture, you may well have saved a part of Jarrow history and might I be the first to suggest a Saturday night dance,CoolSmile
Could have a site curry there. :flame: