ghost stories
does anyone out there have any good ghost stories in and around the hedworth or jarrow area ?:eek:
obviously no one in jarrow or hedworth has had a ghostly happening in their lives, i wished i could say the same, sent a detailed account to mike hallowell, (gazette)a while ago about some serious activity at some stables dating from the sixteen hundreds,i rented the said stables for a couple of years,experienced sightings, smells sounds, polterghiest activity, there is now new housing on top of the stable block, a mate of my sisters who lived in one of the houses on the stable block, had to take out a bridging loan she was that desperate to get out of the house,respect to mike hallowell for denying publication to protect the new owners of the house should they choose to move on.
Not got any myself but I can remember one derelect building in Jarrow that was said to be haunted.

The more informed memebers will have to help me out here, the buiding used to be on Greenbank rd, right next to Greenbank Villas, opposite the BT building. It burnt down some time in the 80's?

Anyway, we used to play in this buidling as kids and there were many stories floating around school about it being haunted. The most popular involved tramps dying in the building. :eek:

Whenever we were cautiously playing in the buolding and heard a strange sound, these ghost stories sprung to mind and had us on our feet sharpish. :fear:
You can take the lad out of Jarrow but you can't take Jarrow out of the lad.
My wife worked nightshift in the Grange nursing home that was opposite the long bar.Doors used to bang during the night and they often heard children runing around.some of the old people would ask where the little boy had gone when they went to investigate the noises.It was a school before being converted into a nursing home.

Admin Wrote:Not got any myself but I can remember one derelect building in Jarrow that was said to be haunted.

The more informed memebers will have to help me out here, the buiding used to be on Greenbank rd, right next to Greenbank Villas, opposite the BT building. It burnt down some time in the 80's?

Anyway, we used to play in this buidling as kids and there were many stories floating around school about it being haunted. The most popular involved tramps dying in the building. :eek:

Whenever we were cautiously playing in the buolding and heard a strange sound, these ghost stories sprung to mind and had us on our feet sharpish. :fear:

I remember it well ..............
It's easy being a knowall when you can back it up innit ... haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

The building your on about ...
Was the Side Hall to the old Jarrow Community Centre in Ellison Street
Used for weight training for the boxers downstairs (I remember it well)
And upstairs for union meetings, mainly the Plumbers (I remember it well)
Previous to that it was old Jarrow Kilda's Church Hall in Ellison Street
And previous to that it was the old Methodist Chapel Sunday School in Ellison Street
This is it on the 1912 map (the red dot)

[Image: Kilda2.jpg?t=1284333852]

When it was set afire in 1978 they demolished it
The Community Centre next door (Kilda's) and Edgar Street had been demolished a lot of years before that when the built the flyover
They built a housing estate in there place 'Greenbank' which opened 1980
My father moved into the first house on that estate in 1980 (I remember it well)
Number 33 Greenbank in the exact spot the Hall occupied (the red dot below)

[Image: Kilda3.jpg?1284334281]
He lived there for 28 years till he moved out in 2008 (I remember it well)
Nowt ever bothered him there cos he don't believe in no ghost

How can you see anything if you don't believe in it?
Just as how can you ever see God if you don't believe it?
Just as you never again seen Santa Claus once you stopped believing innit ............

And here is your fire in 1978 .......................... (I don't remember it cos I was working at the Highland Fabricators Rig Construction Yard at Nigg Bay, Tain, Ross-Shire in Scotland)

[Image: Kilda.jpg?1284333621]

She's saying ..............
'I ain't afraid of no ghosts
I here it likes the girls
I ain't afraid of no ghost
Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah
Who ya gonna call?
GHOSTBUSTERS' ....................................... haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
nowt about ghosts,,,but me older brother also worked up at nig bay around the same time ,,,and me old man worked there earlyer in the seventys,,me brother had a little side job when he was up there ,he used to dig the lug worm and when he came home he used to sell it to a few tackle shops ,,,Wink
crazy horse Wrote:obviously no one in jarrow or hedworth has had a ghostly happening in their lives, i wished i could say the same, sent a detailed account to mike hallowell, (gazette)a while ago about some serious activity at some stables dating from the sixteen hundreds,i rented the said stables for a couple of years,experienced sightings, smells sounds, polterghiest activity, there is now new housing on top of the stable block, a mate of my sisters who lived in one of the houses on the stable block, had to take out a bridging loan she was that desperate to get out of the house,respect to mike hallowell for denying publication to protect the new owners of the house should they choose to move on.

:eek:Where were these stables then :eek: Can you tell us?
:eek::eek::eek:I have a TRUE ghost story but its not in Jarrow, but in Pelaw. :eek::eek::eek:
hartman, thanks for your interest, but i will have a serious think about putting the location on the site as i dont want to fall foul of any laws of our site or incur the wrath of paul, jarraman,or bird man our moderators, having said that i could print here every occurance that went on at the said stables,if there is enough interest???
Or...you could send me a PM Smile
I stumbled across this site by accident and was stunned to see my old address on the first item I read. I used to live in Greenbank Villas and most people I met in Jarrow at the time had never even heard of or had any idea that it was there.

As it happens I used to go to Kilda's (Jarrow Community Center),which was right next door, up until about 1977. Upstairs there was a theatre which sat about 300 people with a large stage and dressing rooms. It was generally rumoured that this area was haunted but what the story was behind it I can't remember.

Other places that were rumoured to be haunted were Harold Street Junior School and some of the houses around Borough Road. The school was used as a morgue during the blitz in the WWII which probably accounts for the stories. As for Borough road I can't shed any light on this other than to say that I was told of strange goings on in a house and that an exorcism was carried out sometime around the late sixties or early seventies.