William Jobling Gibbeted 1832
Hi
I have in my possession a small drinking glass which was made to commemorate the gibbeting of William Jobling at Jarrow Slake back in 1832. This glass has been in our family for years and years. I live in the Midlands but know that my fathers side of the family come from South Shields. I'm trying to find out if I'm related to William in some way?
Can anyone help - are there any relations of his out there?
Incidentally I'm travelling to South Shields on Monday to donate the glass to the South Shields Museum. Smile
That's kind of you Mully48. Nice to keep things in the area isn't it?
I hope that you are successful in tracing some family background Smile
May your troubles be less, your blessings be more, nothing but happiness come through your door.
if you do a search on the subject there is a massive amount of knowledge awaiting.

Its on top horizontal blue bar
mully48 Wrote:Hi
I have in my possession a small drinking glass which was made to commemorate the gibbeting of William Jobling at Jarrow Slake back in 1832. This glass has been in our family for years and years. I live in the Midlands but know that my fathers side of the family come from South Shields. I'm trying to find out if I'm related to William in some way?
Can anyone help - are there any relations of his out there?
Incidentally I'm travelling to South Shields on Monday to donate the glass to the South Shields Museum. Smile
I'd like to say a big Thank You to our new member Mully 48,Who has kindly sent me some photo's of this glass & text out of a book,Mully48 also said I could post photo's on Jarrowlife so everyone can see something which Is part of Jarrow history.Thank's once again,I'm sure everyone on Jarrowlife will appreciate seeing photo's..Smile

Attached Files
.jpg   Glass 1 with info-001.jpg (Size: 310.07 KB / Downloads: 39)
.jpg   Text 1.jpg (Size: 279.94 KB / Downloads: 34)
.jpg   Text 2 (2).jpg (Size: 291.17 KB / Downloads: 29)
The jarrow boat disaster glass that I have has the same leaf design on it.

Attached Files
.gif   disasterglass.gif (Size: 38.67 KB / Downloads: 13)

I found this Interesting article on disaster glasses while surfing the web.
http://www.thefreelibrary.com/culture%3a+Every+glass+has+a+grim+history%3b+In+years+past%2c+any+North...-a0185641426

It would appear that there was more than one style of jarrow boat disaster glass.

Thanks for that. Very interesting.
May your troubles be less, your blessings be more, nothing but happiness come through your door.
Here's something else Mully48 has sent me to share on site...Thank's Again.Mully 48Smile

Attached Files
.jpg   WJ The Times.jpg (Size: 241.04 KB / Downloads: 45)
Nice to see accounts from the time it happened.Very interesting.

England & Wales, Criminal Registers, 1791-1892 about William Jobling

Name: William Jobling Date of Trial: Summer 1832 Trial Year: 1832 Location of Trial: Durham, England Sentence: Death

That's all I've found with just that information to go on. He won't appear on the censuses as it's prior to 1841 when they begin putting names on and the bmd index begins from 1837. There may be parish records perhaps. If you knew the names of his children, you could some best guessing in the 1841 and subsequent censuses for his wife and children as you know one of them would have been born about 1832. There is other family trees appear on Ancestry.co.uk so that's always an option too. The tree on Ancestry is set to private but I have gleaned that he may have been born 1799 and his wife may have been Isabella Turner (married 1821) with a daughter also named Isabella born 1831.

Another option is the British newspaper archives online which start from £6.95

As far as your own tree goes Mully and connecting it to this character, I would go back as far as you could from what you know and then use the freebmdindex.org.uk as anyone after 1912 it will give you the mother's maiden name on the birth results, then you can do marriage searches on the two surnames and further verify things with census info. If you get stuck, give me a shout at "veelollo@talktalk.net"

Attached Files
.jpg   william jobling 1.JPG (Size: 864.83 KB / Downloads: 21)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Vikki Lawlor