Wilkinson
My grand mother's maiden name was Murphy.

Her married name was Wilkinson but I don't know hers or my grand father's first names.

They live in Ferry Street and my grand father and uncle Hughie were merchant seamen.

Their daughters were: Rosie [married name Hemmer], Annie [married name Lee], Clara married name Alexandra Anderson Smith , Vera [married name Roberts], Bridget [married name fitzpatrick], Mary [single], Violet [single],
another siser who was married to a man called Bob Grey or Green and lived on Lindisfarne Rd., and another single sister who lived somewhere around the top of York Avenue. They had a son called Hughie who lived in the Jubilee flats.

I have spent a lot of time researching the family but without dates and names cannot get any more info than I have here.
joanii Wrote:My grand mother's maiden name was Murphy.

Her married name was Wilkinson but I don't know hers or my grand father's first names.

They live in Ferry Street and my grand father and uncle Hughie were merchant seamen.

Their daughters were: Rosie [married name Hemmer], Annie [married name Lee], Clara married name Alexandra Anderson Smith , Vera [married name Roberts], Bridget [married name fitzpatrick], Mary [single], Violet [single],
another siser who was married to a man called Bob Grey or Green and lived on Lindisfarne Rd., and another single sister who lived somewhere around the top of York Avenue. They had a son called Hughie who lived in the Jubilee flats.

I have spent a lot of time researching the family but without dates and names cannot get any more info than I have here.

Festival Flats not Jubilee Flats surely?

This one has a strange twist to it?
Normally you are are stuck with first names and don't know the surnames

But lets try and help you if I can
But may I ask a few questions first

Did your grandparents live in Jarrow?

Were they your grandparents on your fathers side or mothers side?

On your parents marriage certificate it will give the full names of both their fathers

On your parents birth certificates it will give the fathers full name and the mothers full married name and maiden name .................

I notice a Bridget in their childrens names ..........

A Bridget Murphy married a John Wilkinson 19th October 1901 (registered South Shields)

There was a Hugh Wilkinson born 1901 in Jarrow
There was a Bridget Wilkinson born 1912 in Jarrow (mothers maiden name Murphy)
There was a Mary A. Wilkinson born 1915 in Jarrow (mothers maiden name Murphy)
There was a Violet Wilkinson born 1923 in Jarrow (mothers maiden name Murphy)
There was a Veronica Vera Wilkinson born 1929 in Jarrow (mothers maiden name Murphy)
Any of these birth certs will give the parents ..................

Married 1901 and still having children in 1929?
Quite possible if she was the Bridget Wilkinson on the 1911 census in Jarrow age 26 (born 1885)
That would make her 16 when she married in 1901

To trace a John Wilkinson (Jack Wilkinson even) on the census's without obtaining his marriage cert then birth cert would be like trying to find a needle in the haystack, even just in Jarrow

Bridget Murphy not as hard, but the marriage cert would help ...................................

There are only 4 Bridget Wilkinson's in the whole of Durham on the the 1911 census
1 age 40 (too old)
2 aged 23 (to young)
And one born Jarrow aged 26 (this is who I would choose)

And only one Bridget Wilkinson in the whole of Northumberland on the the 1911 census
aged 45 (too old) ......................
Thanks for the info jp, yes festival flats not Jubilee. I was using loads of bits if info and got mixed up. It was jubilee bunglows that I had in front of me at the time.

Great info, a lot more than I ever thought I'd get.

I've spent a small fortune trying to get information but get very little info while spending a lot.

She had 9 daughters and 1 son but there was loads of big families then. Poor thing she died when she was only 52 [if the info I have is true]
joanii Wrote:Thanks for the info jp, yes festival flats not Jubilee. I was using loads of bits if info and got mixed up. It was jubilee bunglows that I had in front of me at the time.

Great info, a lot more than I ever thought I'd get.

I've spent a small fortune trying to get information but get very little info while spending a lot.

She had 9 daughters and 1 son but there was loads of big families then. Poor thing she died when she was only 52 [if the info I have is true]

Have you not got one birth certificate of one of their children?
Your fathers or mothers? (which ever was the child of them)

That would save you a lot of work

You say your grandmother died age 52
Has no one got her death certificate?

Not saying it's yours? (as I'm wearing blinkers here)
But, there was a Bridget Wilkinson died in Gateshead in 1941 aged 54 (making her birth about 1886)

Just Passing Wrote:But lets try and help you if I can

But may I ask a few questions first

Did your grandparents live in Jarrow?

Were they your grandparents on your fathers side or mothers side?
joanii Wrote:My grand mother's maiden name was Murphy.

Heres another definite for you:

John Hemmer married Rose Wilkinson 19th November 1927
(registered South Shields)
That will give you her fathers full name
It will also give you her age when she married
If she was aged between 22 and 23
Then she must be Rose Wilkinson born Jarrow 1905
That will give you her fathers full name, and the mothers full married name and maiden name
Your grandparents

Anyhow best of luck, and let us know how you get on ..............
Just Passing Wrote:Heres another definite for you:

John Hemmer married Rose Wilkinson 19th November 1927
That will give you her fathers full name
It will also give you her age when she married
If she was aged between 22 and 23
Then she must be Rose Wilkinson born Jarrow 1905
That will give you her fathers full name, and the mothers full married name and maiden name
Your grandparents

Anyhow best of luck, and let us know how you get on ..............

Thank you..A million thanks. can't express how much this means to me. xxx
Here's another one:

Clara S. Wilkinson married William A. A. Smith 16th April 1938 (registered South Shields)
You knew what A. A. stood for?
Alexandra is a girls name so his full title would of been
William Alexander Anderson Smith

Have you all this time been looking for a Alexander Anderson Smith?
Instead of William Alexander Anderson Smith?

Clara Wilkinson born 1921 Jarrow
I've been looking for Alexandra as a male name. Doh! Also, I've been missing the Smith out because that wasn't his name and as there wasn't any legal documents that changed his name to Smith I totally, ignored it. I've been searching for William Alexandra Anderson. No wonder I had no luck. I did have an old document ? that eventually, fell apart. I could only make out the name Alexandra but would have been an error or spelling mistake.

From the information you gave me I found out some of the dates of the sister's marriages, their husband's names, dates of birth...Its so addictive!

Thanks a million million.
joanii Wrote:I've been looking for Alexandra as a male name. Doh! Also, I've been missing the Smith out because that wasn't his name and as there wasn't any legal documents that changed his name to Smith I totally, ignored it. I've been searching for William Alexandra Anderson. No wonder I had no luck. I did have an old document ? that eventually, fell apart. I could only make out the name Alexandra but would have been an error or spelling mistake.

From the information you gave me I found out some of the dates of the sister's marriages, their husband's names, dates of birth...Its so addictive!

Thanks a million million.

I had a feeling something was not right when the only full names of partners you put in was the Alexandra Anderson Smith married to Clara Wilkinson (the blinkers are off now)
And you had surnames with no christian names for your grandparents

So when you get the marriage and birth cert your grandparents will be revealed
Many thanks JP thats some great research work you have posted..like I keep saying your a true 'Star' and a brilliant researcher...cheers CaitSmileSmile