What famous people did you see at the club/pub
Little and Large...lol..had that many drinks that night lol..cant remember the venue..oohh!! the signs of mispent youth..lol..WinkWinkCool
I was there when Jimmy Nail was filming spender, in the "On Cue"snooker hall,a few years ago that was.
Tuamigo Wrote:I was there when Jimmy Nail was filming spender, in the "On Cue"snooker hall,a few years ago that was.

Wow!, when was that? I was a member of On Cue when John Lynch ran it (before he took over Johnnies). I loved the place and was in most weekends and usually one night per week.
You can take the lad out of Jarrow but you can't take Jarrow out of the lad.
I used to go most week ends with my mate and sometimes mates playing doubles, john was the owner and then Nada took over so most of my time was when Nada was there, we used to stay till daft o clock in the morning :party: and he used to drop us off home, I think his name was Nada. memory fade here lol
jarraman_1 Wrote:Whats the best act you have seen at a Pub or Club before they were famous or when they were famous. Probably the most famous for me was Engelbert Humpadink at the Deneside, years ago. Also I seen Chubby Brown at the Robin Hood when I was young. How about you.:drum::violin:
Many famous ( and non-famous) people appeared at Jarras first night club , Club Franchi. Among those I remember seeing there were Dusty Springfield, Alan Price Set, Mike Yarwood, Eric Delaney, Lonnie Donnegan and Geno Washington to name just a few. Humperdink changed his name from Eric Delaney whilst appearing at the Latino or the Tavern as it was then. He also appeared under his new name at Hebburn Trades and Labour Club, later to become the Vic Park. Beckstevieb
beckstevieb Wrote:Many famous ( and non-famous) people appeared at Jarras first night club , Club Franchi. Among those I remember seeing there were Dusty Springfield, Alan Price Set, Mike Yarwood, Eric Delaney, Lonnie Donnegan and Geno Washington to name just a few. Humperdink changed his name from Eric Delaney whilst appearing at the Latino or the Tavern as it was then. He also appeared under his new name at Hebburn Trades and Labour Club, later to become the Vic Park. Beckstevieb

Englebert Humperdink was born Arnold Dorsey
But he sung under the name of Gerry Dorsey in the workingmens clubs of the North East
He did appear in the Hebburn Trades and Labour Club at a Talent contest in 1965 under the name Gerry Dorsey
He came second that night to the 'Two Toms' from Jarrow
He changed his name to Englebert Humperdink just before he hit the big time in 1967 with 'Release Me'
He never appeared in the Hebburn Trades and Labour Club under the name of Englebert Humperdink
C'mon after 'Release Me' appearing in the Hebburn Trades and Labour Club?
Thanks for the info. I doubt if we will ever see another club like that here, -- Thanks to the Franchi family for having the bottle to put their money in and make a success of it albeit short lived. beckstevieb
The club was run by The Franchi's and the Valente brothers. I worked there for a few weeks about 1965 to get some extra money for my hols - boy did I get my eyes opened. My parents, although members, didn't like the idea and used to come in every Saturday night to keep an eye on me.
Does Sooty & Sweep in Jarrow Shopping Centre count????? lol
Pauline M Wrote:Does Sooty & Sweep in Jarrow Shopping Centre count????? lol
Yes, Pauline, because they are famous. I remember seeing them in Scarborough when I was about 7 or 8 Beckstevieb