What famous people did you see at the club/pub
Hi Dusty Springfiel was at the club Franchi and her backing group stayed at Jean Carlisle mums BB on Bede burn rd Mel T
HI
all have vague memories of Franchis night club, seem to remember a doorman called Aiden/Adrian, plus another called Trev with ginger hair seen some good acts there so i am told.
Spoke to my brother but the names didn't ring a bell. He did inform me that Billy "chicken" Walsh was one of the doormen.
HI
Jarraman,
going back in the mists of time, and alcoholic fug i do recall a Chicken welsh, had he been a professional boxer?
Yes Phil, that's the one.
its amazing what memories can be dragged back with a little persuasion,SmileSmile
Chicken also worked in various shipyards on the Tyne and was probably more entertaining and better known than some of the turns at Franchi's.
Agreed. Billy was a great entertainer. He could put you down with a stare. He would then laugh. Great fella.
Jimi Hendrix, Chicken Shack at the Cellar Club in Thomas Street South Shields;
John Miles (in The Urge) at various youth clubs in South Shields; The Foundations at The Seaburn Hotel, Seaburn; The Hollies at the Latino, South Shields; Purple Dog at various youth clubs in South Shields; Adam Ant at South Gosforth cinema in Newcastle;
I used to work at Wetherells in Sunderland in the late 60's early 70's. We used to get free admission to most of the clubs in the area in a reciprical deal. I remember being at Club Franchi on a number of occasions. The memory is fading a bit now but does anyone remember The Moody Blues playing there??