Wallace family
Martin wallace Wrote:many thanks for comments.

You would be amazed with certain clues/leads that can lead to a successful search. many people eg the USA can have a pretty good idea where in Ireland they originated - may not always know the specific townland but a parish sometimes or a county.

Folk memories can sometimes survive through the generations?

Any info is very valuable

with best wishes and my sincere thanks again to all responders.

martin

Hi Martin looks like you have found a good bit of info on your family history. We have some smashing members on site who are great at Research...and it great to know that they can offer help and guidance...cheers Cait
Chic Wrote:Hi Martin

The Paddy Wallace mentioned, (the guy who owned the shop) his wife Ida is still alive. Not sure where she lives but she was and may still be a volunteer worker with the British Heart Foundation in Jarrow. Also there is a family called Wallace living in Regent Road, Jarrow, could be of Irish descent as they're catholics. May be useless info but who knows?

The Wallace in Regent Road is no relation
How do I know this?
I asked him was he related to the Paddy Wallace who had the shop in Prince Consort Road?
And all he said was 'Yes I remember the shop well' and 'No, we were not related' ......................
Many years ago while visiting Elders I asked one local if he was related to our Grandparents side of the family as they shared the same surname....phew!! he told me 'No' relation at all .

Then years later we find out that he is in fact a cousin..
To this day for whatever reason he still says he is no relation at all.
We have no idea if in years gone by some relations fell out over something or other...sadly these things happen.

Not wishing to upset anyone ...I am not saying thats the case in Martins family research only trying to highlite some things that do appear as we follow the family trail.
Phew!! its not an easy task for sure....cheers Cait
Here's some photo's of Wallace Family,Len Wallace with his Mobile Shop,Second photo Is Len aged 6 standing outside shop In Prince Consort Road,(1929),3rd Photo Is Paddy's Shop In Norham Terrace, The ladie's In the photograph are Len's Mam, Ida Wallace,the young girl was a shop assistant.I'll also put these photo's In to my Old Photo's Album.Many Thank's to Mrs.Ida Wallace for the loan of thse photo's.

Attached Files
.jpg   img277.jpg (Size: 174.35 KB / Downloads: 38)
.jpg   img272.jpg (Size: 95.22 KB / Downloads: 33)
.jpg   img273.jpg (Size: 111.76 KB / Downloads: 41)
The 3rd one. That's how I remember the shop. Nice photos Fisherman.
[quote][quote=Just Passing]Even if you found today's descendants they most probably would not know whereabouts in Ireland
If it's not on the 1911 census

Patrick Brennan who gets on here (haven't seen him on here for quite a while?) is the man regarding historical research on Jarrow Irish from Galway .................
A lot of his ancestors came from Galway ...............[/quote]

[SIZE=3]I have a few ancestors from Ireland. The only time I have found a birth place other than the county name was when the person was serving in the military at the time, in the 1911 census. There are increasingly more of the Irish records becoming available online. I am still trying to find my way around them and match names up so you can even make a best guess that it is the people you're looking for but no luck so far with that.

I do have some Wallaces in my family tree. My great grandmother was Alice Wallace 1877-1960 born in Hebburn, married a John Cleish Oliver. Her father was John Wallace born Scotland abt 1847-1913.
Their children were :
[/SIZE]
Mary Hannah Wallace (Born: 1875)
Alice Wallace (Born: 1877)
Robert Wallace (Born: 1882)
James Edward Wallace (Born: 1884)

Further census info on Mary Hannah Wallace and the Veitch connection...

1881 Census 20 Thistle Street, Hedworth, Monkton and Jarrow

John Walace Head Married 34 abt 1847 Male Cooper Scotland
Margaret Walace Wife Married 36 abt 1845 Female Berwick On Tweed
Mary Hannah Walace Daughter 5 abt 1876 Female Scholar Hebburn Durham

Alice Walace Daughter 3 abt 1878 Female Hebburn Durham

Elinor Walace Daughter 1 abt 1880 Female Hebburn Durham

1891 census 45 Edgeware Road, Elswick, Newcastle upon Tyne

*interesting to note that 2 doors away is a shop, does not specify what kind

Mary A Webb Head Female 49 abt 1842 Berwick-Upon-Tweed Widow Drapers dealer

Eleanor Veitch Mother Female 76 abt 1815 Alnwick Northumberland Widow

M H Wallace Cousin Female 15 abt 1876 Hebburn Durham Single Drapers assistant

*There is no link, at this stage of my research, of a link between the cousins through the Veitch line. Mary Ann Veitch married George Webb, she is daughter of Eleanor and James Veitch (1814-1884). Mary Hannah's mother was Margaret Wallace nee Veitch (1841-1929).

1901 census 41-47 Edgeware Road

Mary Ann Webb Head 59 abt 1842 Female Berwick Northumberland

Mary H Wallace Cousin 25 abt 1876 Female Hebburn Durham

I post a lot of my own family tree and other genealogy info on my website www.treetales.co.uk
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Vikki Lawlor
fisherman Wrote:Here's some photo's of Wallace Family,Len Wallace with his Mobile Shop,Second photo Is Len aged 6 standing outside shop In Prince Consort Road,(1929),3rd Photo Is Paddy's Shop In Norham Terrace, The ladie's In the photograph are Len's Mam, Ida Wallace,the young girl was a shop assistant.I'll also put these photo's In to my Old Photo's Album.Many Thank's to Mrs.Ida Wallace for the loan of thse photo's.
I got quite a shock tonight when I looked through Shield's Gazette and seen that Ida Wallace has passed away,I was talking to her a few week's ago and got my kiss & cuddle off her(something she done every time I seen her),She was having a little break from her work she done at Heart Foundation Shop....Something she really enjoyed doing, She's served the people of Jarrow for many year's.....Ida....You will be sadly missed...My thought's are with all the family at this very sad time.....Ida may you rest In peace..XX
Birdman Wrote:That's them Chic. I had them living on the wrong corner.
Since me last post I did some checking and found the lad I went to school with on "Friends Reunited" It is Len and there is a picture, which I copied part of. That's him top left. Married and living in Sunderland at the time of writing on friends reunited.
If Martin wants to look him up he can be found at the Jarrow Grammar school from 1959-64.
I spoke to Len this morning after his Mam's service at Crematorium,I told him his photo Is on this site,He'll probably have a look,I'd also like to say that there was a packed crematorium for the service for Ida.....Ida you will be sadly missed..x