Wallace family
To whom it concerns:

My name is martin wallace from galway ireland. Researching the wallace family tree and located my grandfathers brothers and sisters that emigrated to the USA from 1908 onwards.

With regard to the Wallaces; there were two Patrick Wallaces living in Jarrow in the 1911 census.

patrick wallace 41 princess Street, jarrow (Home address tiernakill,Galway ireland

The other Patrick Wallace was aged 14 and born in Jarrow. He was the son of Thomas and Mary Wallace whose place of birth was simply given as Galway. have been told that "Paddy Wallace" operated a grocer's van in the 1950's.

Thomas wallace was from galway Ireland, his wife Bridget (nee Coyne) Wallace was from galway ireland

The following children were born in jarrow:

mary
Patrick
Catherine
sarah
Thomas

Address: 15 Bruno Street

Any information appreciated however small

with best wishes

Martin Wallace Smile
I remember Paddy Wallace. He had a shop on Norham Tce. Nice fella he was.

There was a thread the other day by JP with the older shop paddy had maybe in the 50s.
Martin wallace Wrote:To whom it concerns:

My name is martin wallace from galway ireland. Researching the wallace family tree and located my grandfathers brothers and sisters that emigrated to the USA from 1908 onwards.

With regard to the Wallaces; there were two Patrick Wallaces living in Jarrow in the 1911 census.

patrick wallace 41 princess Street, jarrow (Home address tiernakill,Galway ireland

The other Patrick Wallace was aged 14 and born in Jarrow. He was the son of Thomas and Mary Wallace whose place of birth was simply given as Galway. have been told that "Paddy Wallace" operated a grocer's van in the 1950's.

Thomas wallace was from galway Ireland, his wife Bridget (nee Coyne) Wallace was from galway ireland

The following children were born in jarrow:

mary
Patrick
Catherine
sarah
Thomas

Address: 15 Bruno Street

Any information appreciated however small

with best wishes

Martin Wallace Smile

Paddy Wallace had a shop in Prince Consort Road in Jarrow, which was ('Open all Hours') up to the early 70s

There has never been a Bruno? Street in Jarrow

Them enumeratators had terrible handwriting (like the Doctors and Registrars)

A few suggestions:
Burns Street? (I would put me money on this one)
or Bridge Street? .................

Thomas Wallace married Bridget Coyne 18th November 1893 - registered South Shields (South Shields covered Jarrow and Hebburn also)

Patrick Wallace born Jarrow 1897

Patrick J. Wallace married Isabella McLaren 21st June 1922 - registered South Shields (South Shields covered Jarrow and Hebburn also)
JP

Many thanks.

My sincerest gratitude to all that have responded to date - it is deeply valued.

Correct - It is Burns street.

Census of England and wales 1911

Thomas wallace aged 46
Bridget (nee Coyne) wallace aged 40
Mary wallace aged 16
Patrick wallace aged 14
Catherine wallace aged 11
Sarah wallace aged 7
Thomas Wallace aged 4

All of the above have most definitely passed away - but many of the above mentioned children may have married and had children who in turn had children as well.

Would appreciate any further info.

with best wishes

martin
According to my wife, her grandmother was related to Paddy Wallace's wife
I don't know how they were related?
And Paddy Wallace only had a son called Walter Wallace
And what happened to him? ...........................
Two comments need clarification:

Patrick J. Wallace married Isabella McLaren 21st June 1922 - registered South Shields (South Shields covered Jarrow and Hebburn also)

Paddy wallace had only one son Walter Wallace?

Had patrick wallace a second name called John? So Patrick wallace was around 25 years when he married Isabella mcLaren? It is reasonable to assume that Walter was born at a later stage? He may still be alive??

Any news of wherabouts of other family members?

Very grateful for all information.

with best wishes

Martin
1901 Census
24 Princess Street Jarrow
Patrick Wallace age 35 House Builders Labourer born Ireland
Margaret Wallace wife age 30 born Ireland
Festus Wallace son age 10 born Ireland
Mary Wallace daughter age 5 born Ireland
Michael Wallace son age 1 born Jarrow

Looks like the had just came over from Ireland in the last few years .......

1901 Census
23 Cambrian Street Jarrow
Thomas Wallace age 34 Lead Factory Labourer born Ireland
Bridget Wallace wife age 29 born Ireland
Mary Wallace daughter age 6 born Jarrow
Patrick Wallace son age 4 born Jarrow
Catherine Wallace daughter age 2 born Jarrow

They could be brothers
They lived near each other

Here is a clip from a 1912 Map showing Princess Street, Cambrian Street and Burns Street
About 1948 Cambrian Street was demolished to make way for the Festival Flats (the Festival Flats were demolished 1984)
Burns Street was demolished about 1964
Now were both Streets where is a big car park for a Morrison's Supermarket

[Image: camb-1.jpg?t=1275506200]

99% what you see on that map is gone now ....................
Many thanks for that info.

Its getting more interesting by the minute!

It is quite possible that this wallace family are also connected. Have you any info on address in Ireland?

with best wishes

Martin
Even if you found today's descendants they most probably would not know whereabouts in Ireland
If it's not on the 1911 census

Patrick Brennan who gets on here (haven't seen him on here for quite a while?) is the man regarding historical research on Jarrow Irish from Galway .................
A lot of his ancestors came from Galway ...............
many thanks for comments.

You would be amazed with certain clues/leads that can lead to a successful search. many people eg the USA can have a pretty good idea where in Ireland they originated - may not always know the specific townland but a parish sometimes or a county.

Folk memories can sometimes survive through the generations?

Any info is very valuable

with best wishes and my sincere thanks again to all responders.

martin