Vally View school
I think it's quite interesting, reading through this thread to note that the current head teacher of Valley View school is the son of a former head teacher of St. Matthews school, strange how history intertwines
I went out for a walk along Don on thursday,I bumped Into a teacher(Mr.Harrison) who taught at Valley View ( Early 60s) he was on his way to St.Paul's Church as he play's organ there,we had a canny little chat.
The Adventurer Wrote:Hi Jarraman, I haven't a photo of Mr Jones (Harold) but I recall his bald head.
Here's a photo of Mr.Jone's.

Attached Files
.jpg   img253.jpg (Size: 211.02 KB / Downloads: 40)
Fisherman, funny as it may seem I really liked my schooldays. That's the first photo of Mr Jones I've seen.
Apart from the ones on this site showing Bob Purvis and Norman Roddam who by the way was a professional footballer before he was sportsmaster at Croft Terrace, I don't believe I ever seen any of Mr Forrest Mr Chipchase who was a fighter pilot during the war or any of the others of that era.
The names of them all are still in the old memory bank in case I ever have an opportunity to discuss them.
Cheers.
A bit more history from Valley View School log book....This took place January 11th.1940....An enemy aircraft flew over school at 10-20 this morning,As It was fired on by Anti Aircraft Gun's the children were marched Into the shelter's In case of any shrapnel fell on them,The Children behaved magnificently,All being safely housed In 3 minute's.The all clear sounded 20 minute's later...
Another entry from Valley View School log book......January 19th 1940.....The percentage of children attending school for the week Is 82-8%,much of the absence Is due to the children having no shoe's....
[quote=fisherman]A bit more history from Valley View School log book....This took place January 11th.1940....An enemy aircraft flew over school at 10-20 this morning,As It was fired on by Anti Aircraft Gun's the children were marched Into the shelter's In case of any shrapnel fell on them,The Children behaved magnificently,All being safely housed In 3 minute's.The all clear sounded 20 minute's later...[/QUOTE

I was off school that day, sitting on my front door step. The plane flew quite
low over the cricket field, guns blazing heading for the coast. I didn't have
the sense to jump into the Anderson shelter which was only a few feet away;
Here's a question for everyone,Does anyone know how many Head Teacher's have there been since Valley View School opened.....I've got all the photo's of them on my computer,(I forgot I had them) saying that I've just photographed the current head teacher a few week's ago.....So now everything Is up to date..
11 Jan 1940

This day was to show the first impact of warfare by the Luftwaffe.
Due to the presence of enemy aircraft, Newcastle and Tyneside was under a Yellow Warning from 10.22 hrs to 10.46 hrs. The Air Ministry announced: "Enemy aircraft crossed the coast near Newcastle today. No bombs were dropped. Fighter patrols were sent up and Anti-aircraft guns opened fire".
An enemy aircraft, flying at a great height, came in from the sea and was driven off by heavy Anti aircraft gunfire. Shrapnel fell within the streets of South Shields without causing any reported casualties. Large black smoke puffs were seen in the sky, concentrated on a plane travelling in a westerly direction. After apparently completing a wide circle, it appeared again and was fired on. Six British fighters went in pursuit.
fisherman Wrote:Here's a question for everyone,Does anyone know how many Head Teacher's have there been since Valley View School opened (1928)....I've got all the photo's of them on my computer,(I forgot I had them) saying that I've just photographed the current head teacher a few week's ago.....So now everything Is up to date..
Is anyone going to have a guess....