Vally View school
yes mary me mam lived and still lives oposite the park gates of valley view park but think that was monkton dene park or was it hmmmm:confused:
Spin, its called Jervis Park. Think we renamed it. Wink
jarraman Wrote:Spin, its called Jervis Park. Think we renamed it. Wink

SmileEeeh!! jarraman I need directions..lol..daft question why did they change the name of the park? cheers Cait
Mary Wrote:Yes you have no idea how hard it was for us to learn, one of the class rooms which have been mentioned in another thread was actually the catholic church.( that was Nellie Finigans) so when I see them pulling down schools like the "Spring field"it breaks my heart.
Yes Mary, I agree, I presume you mean the old Grammar School when you say Springfield. I went there in the 50/60's and although it's boarded up and the new "Academy" up and running there are various reasons for stalling on the demolition. Originally there were supposed to be bats in the eaves and now it's because there is a fortune tied up in the building i.e. parquet flooring, sash windows and ancient tiles all going for auction apparently. I live nearby and am watching and waiting!
I started vally view school in 1952 when i was five and Miss Login was the headmistress of the infants.i was always a bit scared of her, but as we got older we used to have to clear up the staff room after the teachers had the breaks they used to have nestles condenced milk in there tea and we used to love to get a spoon and have a spoonfull of it, it tasted lovely.:p
Chic Wrote:Yes Mary, I agree, I presume you mean the old Grammar School when you say Springfield. I went there in the 50/60's and although it's boarded up and the new "Academy" up and running there are various reasons for stalling on the demolition. Originally there were supposed to be bats in the eaves and now it's because there is a fortune tied up in the building i.e. parquet flooring, sash windows and ancient tiles all going for auction apparently. I live nearby and am watching and waiting!
In the staff room.The old school hall there were boards on the walls with past pupils names and where they went to when they left the grammar school.These boards are are a valuable record of the social history of Jarrow.Bet they get dumped.

lizciggy Wrote:I started vally view school in 1952 when i was five and Miss Login was the headmistress of the infants.i was always a bit scared of her, but as we got older we used to have to clear up the staff room after the teachers had the breaks they used to have nestles condenced milk in there tea and we used to love to get a spoon and have a spoonfull of it, it tasted lovely.:p

Norman Dunn has a photo of Miss Logan taken in the 50's. This link should take you to it.

http://www.norman.dunn247.co.uk/Page%20203/Page%20203%20010.jpg
spin mac Wrote:i went to st matthews from 1965 onwards and miss moore taught me, she was an old dragon, used to bray u cross the knuckes with a thick pencil for least little thing, worse thing was she lived along the road from my mam, so was terrified incase she told my mam everytime i was naughty and got punished.....erm which was often!!!:faint2:
Miss Moore taught me in St Matthews in 1961/62 & I can remember her thick black pencill as well.
When she died she was in her 90's and about a year before she died, I saw her in Norham Tce shop. She knew who I was & she could remember the names of my younger brother & sisters. Wonderful memory considering her age, the number of years since she taught us & the number of people she must have taught in her career.
jarraman Wrote:Can do better than that.

I know who has all the photographs from the exhibition. All 800 of them. Keep viewing. Wink

PS Admin head boy mind. Am his helper. lol.

Are you sorting something out about the photographs because I asked a teacher today at Valley View and she said that Margaret was the one to see. I presumed she meant the Secretary who is normally 8-30am -4.30 pm but she had finished early today.
Yes it is Margaret but not the secretary. Refer to the prevoius post about Valley View. Any help would be great. Wink