Vally View school
reading Letmein5 Poam of vally view has stirred some early memories for me I thought I would share a few with you.
I went to Vally View in 1945 It was before St Matthews catholic school was built up york ave. there was three class rooms for the catholic children in Vally View, Miss moore had the first year one, where I remember vividly been taught how to lace up my shoes, with a piece of card with string in it, the second class was miss o'Briens this was in 1946 and mostly I remember the stories she used to read to us, and all the pictures around the walls with aids for counting, but in 1947 we were in an out building which stood were the community center is now,this was Mrs. Redigans class, and the main thing I remember about this year was the reading book the covers were all different colours so every one knew how well you were progressing with your reading, the colours of the book backs were brown green orange and blue, cant remember in which order they were,but I remember in 1947 after a very bad winter and not been able to get to school for three days, finally getting there and Mrs. Redigan had made it into school there was only myself and two other children had made it to school that day. In 1948 I went to the huts in simonside, But like letmein5 Jarvis park was where we always played.
Reading Mary's account of Valley View brings back memories of the Catholic classes in a seperate part of the school.
I can recall Mr Jones who was headmaster of the Protestant classes and as a 5 year old when I went there straight from Valley View nursery I wondered why this was so.
I believe Mrs Murphy who lived next door to me was the school cleaner.
I was a pupil from 1947-53.
I also attended Valley View,Mr.Jone's was Headmaster,I remember Mr.Johnson he was the caretaker don't know if anyone else remember's him,but I recall him drawing a lot & what a talent he had, the one sketch that stick's in my mind he once done a self portrait and I was amazed just how well he done it.I think I left about 1965.
Yes you have no idea how hard it was for us to learn, one of the class rooms which have been mentioned in another thread was actually the catholic church.( that was Nellie Finigans) so when I see them pulling down schools like the "Spring field"it breaks my heart.
Valley View school was my school until the day I left for seniors. I hated Mr Jones as he was really strict.

Many years later Mr Jones(harold) became my friend due to being a team mate in bowls. What a lovely fella he was. I often told him how I disliked him and he laughed.

Would love a photo of Harold to be posted here. Good guy he was.
Hi Jarraman, I haven't a photo of Mr Jones (Harold) but I recall his bald head.
i went to st matthews from 1965 onwards and miss moore taught me, she was an old dragon, used to bray u cross the knuckes with a thick pencil for least little thing, worse thing was she lived along the road from my mam, so was terrified incase she told my mam everytime i was naughty and got punished.....erm which was often!!!:faint2:
spin mac Wrote:i went to st matthews from 1965 onwards and miss moore taught me, she was an old dragon, used to bray u cross the knuckes with a thick pencil for least little thing, worse thing was she lived along the road from my mam, so was terrified incase she told my mam everytime i was naughty and got punished.....erm which was often!!!:faint2:

It could have well been the same teacher, did your mother live any where near the Jarvis park?
jarraman Wrote:Valley View school was my school until the day I left for seniors. I hated Mr Jones as he was really strict.

Many years later Mr Jones(harold) became my friend due to being a team mate in bowls. What a lovely fella he was. I often told him how I disliked him and he laughed.

Would love a photo of Harold to be posted here. Good guy he was.

I could have sworn I had a photo of him somewhere. must have been on a previous computer.

I did come up with this link http://www.southtyneside.info/applications/2/pressreleases/release.aspx?pk=4485

It was a celebration of 80 years of Valley View School and they had old photo's on show along with other memorabilia.

Now then jarraman, as moderator and head boy, should you find yourself passing by the school gates one day I'm sure the present day headmaster could spare a few minutes to look out a photo or two to keep the memories alive. Big Grin
Can do better than that.

I know who has all the photographs from the exhibition. All 800 of them. Keep viewing. Wink

PS Admin head boy mind. Am his helper. lol.