Using Google Street View
charlie Wrote:union st what a difference when i think about the old mans cafe. frankies fish shop lilly cores general dealers shop then the empire picture house its like Jarrows been blitzed again even south shields kept part of its history in fact any other place i know either built to blend in with the surroundings . anyone visiting Jarrow after a long absense would never recognise the place . due to those who think they no best. o,dearie me i get so depressed. must go for a lie down to get over this post cheers
You're dead right, charlie. I'm gutted that they pulled down Mayfield school and Danesfield. Both buildings would have far out-lived what is on their sites now. Sad
charlie Wrote:union st what a difference when i think about the old mans cafe. frankies fish shop lilly cores general dealers shop then the empire picture house its like Jarrows been blitzed again even south shields kept part of its history in fact any other place i know either built to blend in with the surroundings . anyone visiting Jarrow after a long absense would never recognise the place . due to those who think they no best. o,dearie me i get so depressed. must go for a lie down to get over this post cheers

Charlie, its not only people who have been away a long time, I went on holiday and when I came back they had pulled Jarrow labour club down,Sad
would you believe it thats exactly what happened to me where did you go to anywhere nice .we went to wales no snow but very cold. cheers:hungry:
joanii Wrote:You're dead right, charlie. I'm gutted that they pulled down Mayfield school and Danesfield. Both buildings would have far out-lived what is on their sites now.

Whaaaaat? Danesfield has been demolished?:mad:Sad:mad::confused: My daughter was born there 1966 (first marriage) Danesfield was a substantial 'pile' and a quite architectural gem in Jarrow, and possibly Tyneside. I am depressed. Sad
hartmann Wrote:Whaaaaat? Danesfield has been demolished?:mad:Sad:mad::confused: My daughter was born there 1966 (first marriage) Danesfield was a substantial 'pile' and a quite architectural gem in Jarrow, and possibly Tyneside. I am depressed. Sad
Here's a photo for you Hartmann.

Attached Files
.jpg   user316_pic2303_1281214992.jpg (Size: 91.88 KB / Downloads: 25)
Thanks for the reply anyway Fisherman Cool and the plaque photograph. Not much of a legacy is it? A small disc on the side of what looks like a poorly constructed building, judging by that awful bricklaying and sub-standard pointing. This plaque will of couse be eventually removed and scrapped, as history has shown. Sad Sad