Upcoming wildlife events
If anyone is interested.

South Tyneside Council’s Countryside Team have two exciting events coming up to help you discover more about our native mammals.

Find out all about bats on Wednesday 5th September. Meet at the chapel in Jarrow Cemetery at 7:30pm for an illustrated talk about the fascinating secret world of British bats, then join a walk around the Cemetery and surrounding area with bat detectors to try and hear bats in the wild. Booking is not required, you can just turn up on the night, but please dress sensibly for walking outside. The event should be finished by 9:45pm. For full information, please visit www.southtyneside.info/countryside and click on events.

The second event is all about small mammals such as the woodmouse, bank vole and common shrew. Join the Countryside Officer as she carries out an annual survey to monitor small mammals at Tilesheds Local Nature Reserve and Colliery Wood. The event will involve an early morning (around 7:30am) check of humane live mammal traps to see what has been caught and record the details. This will be a chance to hopefully see British small mammal species up close and learn a little about their habits and ecology. This survey will take place during the month of September, but the date will be set according to the weather. So, if you might want to join in, please email "countryside@southtyneside.gov.uk" with your name and contact number so you can be kept informed.

Feel free to pass this on to anyone you think may be interested.
Gentle reminder about tommorow night in case anyone has forgotton.
Good night tonight Bat Detecting...Good turn out as well,Steve Egg, The Adventurer Yakob & Mick....Really Enjoyable night,I took my Granddaughter as well,She loved It....Thank's to Clare & Tony for organising tonight..
Really interesting night...enjoyed it Smile
jarraman Wrote:Gentle reminder about tommorow night in case anyone has forgotton.
What happened Jarraman, did you forget or were you not intending to come.
Clare was excellent in more ways than one because she replied to an email I sent her regarding the maintainence of meadowland in double quick time.
The Adventurer Wrote:What happened Jarraman, did you forget or were you not intending to come.
Clare was excellent in more ways than one because she replied to an email I sent her regarding the maintainence of meadowland in double quick time.

No I never forgot and I had every intention of attending but i was called elsewhere.
jarraman Wrote:No I never forgot and I had every intention of attending but i was called elsewhere.
Dougie that was a tongue in cheek remark of mine, I hope you didn't take it serious. You missed a good night.
Another excellent event organised by the ST countryside team..:thumb:

Highlight for me.... the 2 bats Clare and Tony brought along that are being cared for until fit for release. A Noctule and a Whiskered bat. How often do you get to see these bats soo close.?Smile. OR any bat!

Great banter also on walk about, and lovely to see the bairns getting excited(and grown ups alike) when the detectors picked up pipistrelle bats.Confusedmile:
Steve Egg Wrote:Another excellent event organised by the ST countryside team..:thumb:

Highlight for me.... the 2 bats Clare and Tony brought along that are being cared for until fit for release. A Noctule and a Whiskered bat. How often do you get to see these bats so close.?Smile. OR any bat!

Great banter also on walk about, and lovely to see the bairns getting excited(and grown ups alike) when the detectors picked up pipistrelle bats.Confusedmile:

Glad you all enjoyed it, I would have loved to have been there but I have other commitments on a wednesday night, if it had been any other night I would have definately been there,
Mary Wrote:Glad you all enjoyed it, I would have loved to have been there but I have other commitments on a wednesday night, if it had been any other night I would have definately been there,
So did you shout, House...Big Grin..Only Kidding..Mary you would of enjoyed It...Maybe next time Smile