The jarrow crusade
Great thread love the poem about the Jarrow March and the photos are brilliant...cheers Cait
Cornelius Whalen 1909 - 17th September 2003

[Image: conwhalen01.jpg?t=1269357077]
Article in the Shields Gazette September 2003
[Image: conwhalen02.jpg?t=1269360659]
MY Uncle John Kelly was a miner and he was on the march
waterlilly Wrote:MY Uncle John Kelly was a miner and he was on the march
Hello and welcome to the site waterlillySmile. Your family must be so proud of your uncle John Kelly, he and others took part in a very historic march.
Did he by chance pass on any memories or stories within the family, that maybe you could share on site? cheers CaitSmile
My grandfather Con Shiels was one of the two cooks on the march, he was a riveter by trade. In 1916 while working at Palmers shipyard , one of his workmates fell into the river, Con jumped in and kept him afloat until help arrived. Con was a non-swimmer. He was presented with a wall clock by his workmates and management,the clock is now in my possesion, and is still in perfect working order.
His full name was Constantine Shiels, he was the sixth in line to bear the name, the first being born in 1803, to date three generations still live
that also bear the name .Con died Nov 5 1954, and now lies in Jarrow cemetry.
I also had an uncle on the march, my mothers brother, but his name is missing from your list, suprissing as he was one of the leaders.
Paddy Scullion. Paddy was a Jarrow councilor for many years , mayor
of Jarrow twice, 1947-48, then an alderman, and finaly made a freeman
of the borough of Jarrow. He also lies in Jarrwo cemetry.
Paddy Scullion did not do the march

Paddy Scullion (Councillor)
David Riley (Marshall of the March) made famous by the song by Lindisfarne 'Marshall Riley's Army'
Ellen Wilkinson (Jarrow MP)
Were organisors off the march and met up with the marchers on different parts of the route doing mebbee half a mile with them each time (for photo shoots)
And finally meeting up with them in London

Sam Rowan (Reporter) followed them all the way by car and stayed with them each stop of the way

Also of the 200 original marchers only 184 completed the march that's why there is only 184 names

[Image: march01.jpg?t=1273178570]
Like this photo J.P.Hope you've got some more like this.I like to see the way Jarrow used to look.
[Image: march02.jpg?t=1273180325]
Hi JP, I wonder if you can help me? After reading this very interesting post I think one of the marchers could be my great uncle - James Allison. Anyway I can find out who his parents were? By the way I went to an interesting talk on the Jarrow Crusade this week in Jarrow library given by Matt Perry.
Hi Dammie - did Paddy Scullion have any family?
dammie Wrote:My grandfather Con Shiels was one of the two cooks on the march, he was a riveter by trade. In 1916 while working at Palmers shipyard , one of his workmates fell into the river, Con jumped in and kept him afloat until help arrived. Con was a non-swimmer. He was presented with a wall clock by his workmates and management,the clock is now in my possesion, and is still in perfect working order.
His full name was Constantine Shiels, he was the sixth in line to bear the name, the first being born in 1803, to date three generations still live
that also bear the name .Con died Nov 5 1954, and now lies in Jarrow cemetry.
I also had an uncle on the march, my mothers brother, but his name is missing from your list, suprissing as he was one of the leaders.
Paddy Scullion. Paddy was a Jarrow councilor for many years , mayor
of Jarrow twice, 1947-48, then an alderman, and finaly made a freeman
of the borough of Jarrow. He also lies in Jarrwo cemetry.