The huts on Finchale tce.
Mel T Wrote:Hi yes it closed and we had to go to St Mathews up behind York ave garage till we were 11, i lived in brixham cres then ,i have been away a lot and have never come across any one from any of my old schools Mel T

I think you must be just a little younger than me amd Pat as the school behind the york ave. garage wasn't even built when pat and I were in Nellie finigans, and the Saint Matthews church was the old one,( that stood in Belsfield grounds) before the new one on the other side of Buchers bridge (the lonnen as we called it) road was built
What was the old st matthews church like Mary was it a prefab building?

No it wasn't TedG.
There was a gravel road leading from The Lonnen. It ran between the Church and the wall at the back of Belsfield. There's a photo of it somewhere, but I cannot remember where. The Church was dark brown wood I think. It was taller than a prefab. The entrance faced the wall at the back of Belsfield. It was quite a large building with an L shaped room leading from the altar. (for the priests to change, etc.) We had classes at the entrance end of the Church, but we students didn't use that entrance, I don't think. There was a big red curtain drawn across the altar at the altar rail. The pews stayed where they were, and our desks faced away from the altar. There were four rows, and two to a desk. (about 32 pupils?) Don't know what they did on Sundays as I went to the Huts for Mass. We weren't allowed to mix with the Belsfield girls. There was a canteen behind the L shaped room where we ate lunch.
Mary will probably remember and put me right if I've got it wrong.
the pews were colapsable and the used to take half of them down to put the desks which were more like a folding table up (which were calapsable too) do you remember Pat the bags we had to sew to hang on the side of the desk's to keep our books in, for a sunday they took the desks down and put the pew's back up, I was one of the last people to be married in the old St Matthews church as the week after I was married, the new church was opened and that was in September 1958
tedg Wrote:Did anyone on here go to the Catholic school on finchale tce on Low tce.I think it was the forerunner to St Marys school on the scotch estate.It was known as the Huts.
Hi Ted i went to the Huts infants and juniors nicknamed (the cardboard city) miss finnigan was there. Then a mister Gleeson took over as head. When they opened the new St Matthews school in Alnwick grove some of the pupils from the huts were sent there, i stayed there until i was 11 then off to Mayfield girls school. I think the Huts got its nickname because as kids everyone used to pick at the walls and it was just like cardboard. Thinking back now i bet some of it was asbestos, i must admit i loved my school days there.
bundy Wrote:Hi Ted i went to the Huts infants and juniors nicknamed (the cardboard city) miss finnigan was there. Then a mister Gleeson took over as head. When they opened the new St Matthews school in Alnwick grove some of the pupils from the huts were sent there, i stayed there until i was 11 then off to Mayfield girls school. I think the Huts got its nickname because as kids everyone used to pick at the walls and it was just like cardboard. Thinking back now i bet some of it was asbestos, i must admit i loved my school days there.

Bundy, you would have been correct in stating the cardboard city was asbestos because it was the 1970's and maybe later before they stopped using it in the building trade as tedg will probably verify.
(22 Mar 11, 1:42 AM)tedg Wrote:  Did anyone on here go to the Catholic school on finchale tce on Low tce.I think it was the forerunner to St Marys school on the scotch estate.It was known as the Huts.

Yes I went there.we used to call it cardboard city
Terry Mccabe