The huts on Finchale tce.
Did anyone on here go to the Catholic school on finchale tce on Low tce.I think it was the forerunner to St Marys school on the scotch estate.It was known as the Huts.

tedg Wrote:Did anyone on here go to the Catholic school on finchale tce on Low tce.I think it was the forerunner to St Marys school on the scotch estate.It was known as the Huts.

Ted, from a previous thread I know that both Mary and Pat went to the "Huts" or cardboard city as we called it.
I'm sure they'll answer your post when they see it. Smile
Ted I have also seen the chat about Finchale Huts which was also known as Cardboard City and was used by the Scouts because I went there myself in the early 50's as a Scout.
Yes Ted both Pat and I went to the huts on Finchale Road, Mind it was a long time ago, just after the second world war around about 1947/48.
Hi ted i went to the huts on finchale rd round about 1955 then to mayfieldSmileSmile
TedG.
I went there for a short while before going on to Miss Finnigan's in The Hall. Mary did too.
We used to have Mass there on a Sunday too before the 'new' Church was built.
Why do you ask?
If you look at the photo that Fisherman put on the site for me, of a crowd of girls, most of the people on it attended school in the Huts. I think it's in Fisherman's file for 'old photos'.
Hi i was there from 1948 walked there in lots of deep snow,it had an old pot belly stove and i think one of the teachers was Nelly Finigin Mel T.
Mel T Wrote:Hi i was there from 1948 walked there in lots of deep snow,it had an old pot belly stove and i think one of the teachers was Nelly Finigin Mel T.

Hi Mel T You must have been there the same time as Pat and I. the Finiggan who was at the huts was Molly,( if I remember right she was the head mistress) Nellie was at St Matthews church, where we actually had our lessons in the church at the back, ( Nellie's was all girls)
Mary Wrote:Hi Mel T You must have been there the same time as Pat and I. the Finiggan who was at the huts was Molly,( if I remember right she was the head mistress) Nellie was at St Matthews church, where we actually had our lessons in the church at the back, ( Nellie's was all girls)
Hi yes it closed and we had to go to St Mathews up behind York ave garage till we were 11, i lived in brixham cres then ,i have been away a lot and have never come across any one from any of my old schools Mel T