The Zeppelin Raid on Jarrow 1915
Heres a clip off the 1918 map showing part of Palmer's
And thanks to Tom, where the Berengaria shed was (Sterling later on)
Where the bombs were dropped from the Zeppelin at 11.40pm Tuesday 15th June 1915

[Image: explosion.jpg?1278284542]

Yes ... the Memorial should be erected in Dowe Chemicals car park where it rightfully belongs ..............

But just 'pie in the sky' innit

[Image: explosion2.jpg?1278285607]

I tried for 8 years to get a proper Memorial for the War dead of 2 wars in Jarrow
Jarrow servicemen/women, who are known to have died in both wars is 1071
(only 18% of our Servicemen from Jarrow, who died in both World Wars, are commemorated on a Cenotaph in Jarrow)
Jarrow Civilians, who died in both wars is 57
Jarrow total for both wars is 1128 (known) who died

Oh there was plenty of offers of backing from people and councillors
But when it came down to it, to get something done?
You could not see hide nor hair of any of them
Every last one of them 'all wind and no sail'
Just Passing Wrote:I have just sent this email to Valenbeck's Head Office to save on telephoning or knocking on doors ...................

from Just Passing "just.passing@gmail.com"[/EMAIL]
"toaccounts@valenbeck.co.uk"
date Sun, Jul 4, 2010 at 9:32 PM
subject WW1 Civilian Memorial
mailed-bygmail.com

Valenbeck Ltd

Excuse me for infringing upon your time
But I was wondering if you could make an enquiry for me
Regarding the premises on the Bailey Industral Estate, Ellison Street, Jarrow, Tyne and Wear
Before your company took over the premises
It had been Sterling Foundry Specialties Ltd
And they had a plaque in Reception which Commemorated 12 civilians killed in WW1 in the Palmer Shipyard
The plaque had originally been in the Palmer Shipyard
If possible could you enquire for me if the plaque still exists at your Jarrow premises

Yours sincerely
JP

Update:

Received this reply from Valenbeck Ltd (Jarrow it looks like, by the way the reply is worded)

from Janet Croft <"Janet.Croft@valenbeck.co.uk">
date Jul 5, 2010 9:08 AM
subject RE: WW1 Civilian Memorial
mailed-by valenbeck.co.uk

As far as we are aware there is no plaque here

Kind regards
Janet Croft
Valenbeck Packing & Freight Services Ltd
Tel: 0191 428 0852
email "janet.croft@valenbeck.co.uk"

What next?
Tom
Is it possible it could of ended up with Sterling Scaffolding on the Bede Industrial Estate ..............................................
Shame about that, it may still be worth a visit ? The plaque definitely didn,t go to Sterling on the Bede Industrial Estate as I worked there as a manager and director from 1987 to 2008. When we left the premises on Ellison Street they still had not been sold and the works manager, Mr. Bill Main was still there as caretaker and looked after the premises until they were sold. It is possible that he may have done something with the plaque as I know he had been approached at some stage by Vince Rea who wanted the plaque for his art gallery in Springfield Park.
Brilliant thread feel sure that the missing plaque will be found and put back on display. Like you said JP this is all Jarrow history and it must be recorded - keep up the good work guys cheers Cait
What private individuals want with Memorials I cannot understand?
They should be on public display

I never knew nothing or had heard nothing of the civilians killed in Palmer's by Zeppelin in WW1 till about 5 years ago
Probably goes for the majority of people

Now the Memorial plaque in St. Mark's has gone (34 who died WW1 and 15 who died WW2)

The Memorial plaque (6 who died WW1) disappeared when St. Peter's on Chaytor Street was demolished

The Memorial plaque (25 who died WW1) disappeared when St. Aidan's on Franklin Street was demolished

The Memorial plaque (servicemen died WW1) disappeared when Palmer's Yard was demolished

Palmer Engine Works the Memorial plaque (servicemen died WW1) disappeared when Palmer's Yard was demolished

Palmer Iron & Steel Works the Memorial plaque (servicemen died WW1) disappeared when Palmer's Yard was demolished

The Cenotaph in East Jarrow (about 32 who died WW1) that was dismantled to be put back when the Bede Trading Estate was completed
Lay at the back of Jarrow Hall for years (now Bede's World)
Probably used as hard core for some road

Presbyterian Church Ellison Street (9 who died + 63 who served WW1)disappeared when it was demolished

St. Bede's Young Men's Institute Chapel Road (20 who died + 56 who served WW1) disappeared when it was demolished

Drill Hall in Western Road photographs in a frame of men from 233rd Royal Engineers (who died WW1) disappeared when it was demolished

No. 4 Branch of the Boilermakers (20 who died WW1) dissapeared

Gasworkers Social Club Gray Street (12 who died + 102 who served WW1) disappeared when it was demolished

And too many others ...............

The powers that be have never cared less about those memorials in the past, so they are not going to now
For the shameless ignorance is bliss innit ............................

Anyhow for anyone interested
Go to:
http://www.newmp.org.uk/
Scroll down to Jarrow for Village/Town
Have a good gander (look)
And put any input you may have, by contacting them on there ................

This is the best we ourselves can do .............

[Image: picture.php?albumid=174&amp;pictureid=1542]

Triptych in St. Mark's Church Salem Street (no longer there)
According to the National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations), my great uncle LANE Joseph of 25 Bede Burn-road Jarrow died 15 June 1915 at Palmers shipbuilding and iron company’s works. Following this discussion, I now know what happened to him!

I have written his family history at:

http://www.strong-family.org/lane/chapter_4.html

together with a photogallery featuring his home at Jarrow at:

http://www.strong-family.org/galleries/lane_family/index.html

Philip Strong
Philip Strong Wrote:According to the National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations), my great uncle LANE Joseph of 25 Bede Burn-road Jarrow died 15 June 1915 at Palmers shipbuilding and iron company’s works. Following this discussion, I now know what happened to him!

I have written his family history at:

together with a photogallery featuring his home at Jarrow at:

http://www.strong-family.org/galleries/lane_family/index.html

Philip Strong

Excellent website Philip.
did not know jarrow had been subject to a zeppelin raid,great reading phillip, good luck with your researchCool
crazy horse Wrote:did not know jarrow had been subject to a zeppelin raid,great reading phillip, good luck with your researchCool

So you haven't read my posts about it? :confused:
The great research done by “Just Passing” at the beginning of this thread gave us the list of men and their ages killed in the Zeppelin raid, using the “South Shields” 18 Jun 1915 report. He also gave some photos of their gravestones and details of their parents. Then, most importantly he gave the text of the inscription of their memorial at Jarrow Palmers Shipyard.
Information has now been added to “Just Passing’s” list using inquest reports in the Illustrated Chronicle and the Jarrow Express and Tyneside Advertiser, Fri 18 Jun, 1915. All this data made it possible to find most of these men in the 1911 Census records.

Now see the refined list below. All men were on the shipyard memorial, except those shown by (**). Occupation in the 1911 Census is shown after “1911-“.

Lawrence Fraser Sanderson, 16; 1911- school.
Matthew Carter, 56; 1911- ship fitter
**Joseph Beckwith Thorneycroft, 31; 1911- engineer sea-going.
John George Windle, 22; 1911- screwing machine fitter.
Karl Karlning, 24; 1911- no record found.
William Erskine Cook Young 16; 1911- school.
William Grieves Turner, 20; 1911- apprentice engineer’s fitter.
**Joseph Lane 67; 1911- not in Census, but was a marine engineer.
Robert Thomas Nixon, 32; 1911- mechanic turner and fitter.
**Frederick Pinnock, 29; 1911- family in Jarrow but Frederick not there on Census night.
Albert Bramley, 54; 1911- colliery above ground labourer.
Thomas Henry Smith, 23; 1911- apprentice engineer.
Ralph Snaith, 48; 1911- turner in turbine works.
**William Stamford, 40. 1911- colliery fitter.
George Ward, 18, apprentice fitter and turner (occupation in inquest information). 1911- no occupation.
John Cuthbert Davison, 31, a fitter and turner (occupation in inquest information); 1911- coal miner stone man.

Tentative conclusions could be made that the 4 men not on the memorial were not employed by Palmers, and were employed by the Admiralty, who would have had overall control of this area in war time. Also, the occupations of the men indicate that the shed which was bombed was the fitters’ shed and not the boilermakers’ shed, even though the memorial was subsequently placed in the boilermakers’ shed.

My interest is Joseph LANE, marine engineer in the above list. His family history is at:
…together with a photogallery featuring his home, neighbourhood and graves at Jarrow at: http://www.strong-family.org/galleries/lane_family/index.html

Philip Strong
(Australia)