The Zeppelin Raid on Jarrow 1915
We need a roving reporter to visit and get a pic of the plaque.Any volunteers.

tom.mul1945 Wrote:I used to work at Sterling Foundry Specialties Ltd. and the plaque you mentioned was in the factory which had previously been Palmers. When the new Sterling was built on Ellison Street the plaque was moved to the new office reception there and may possibly still be there. There were stories that the steel stores where the people were killed was haunted and on the few occasions when I went in the stores it was always freezing cold even in the middle of summer.

Thanks for your input.
So Sterling must of been originally the Berengaria Shed
The Palmer shed the plaque was in ended up as the Berengaria Shed in 1938
Used for saleable artifacts from the Berengaria.
The Berengaria was sold to Sir John Jarvis, who also purchased Olympic, to provide work for the unemployed in Jarrow. She sailed for the River Tyne under the command of Captain George Gibbons and scrapped down to her waterline. It went elswhere for it's final demolition in 1946.
I always thought that the Berengaria shed ended up in Lennigs (later Rohm and Haas then today Dowe Chemicals)
But as you say it ended up as Sterling which was just outside of Lennigs

Every little bit of info helps my friend

Is the new Sterling still trading today?
If so it would be nice if someone could enquire about the plaque

Good on them letting their presence be felt, I say ..............

tedg Wrote:We need a roving reporter to visit and get a pic of the plaque.Any volunteers.

Good on you volunteering Ted
Would that have been the zeppelin that knocked the top half of the steeple, off St. Peter's church in Chaytor street?
St peters steeple was knocked down 16th sept 1946.
joanii Wrote:Would that have been the zeppelin that knocked the top half of the steeple, off St. Peter's church in Chaytor street?

That was one of our Anti Aircraft Barrage Balloons that took the top off the steeple on St. Peter's Church in 1942 (WW2)

canny bairn Wrote:St peters steeple was knocked down 16th sept 1946.

16th September 1942
A barrage balloon broke loose and the wire damaged the church steeple and the school roof.

This will put the record straight:

http://www.tomorrows-history.com/projects/PF0100060001/St%20Peter's%20History.htm
tom.mul1945 Wrote:I used to work at Sterling Foundry Specialties Ltd. and the plaque you mentioned was in the factory which had previously been Palmers. When the new Sterling was built on Ellison Street the plaque was moved to the new office reception there and may possibly still be there

Did Valenbeck Ltd take over the Sterling Foundry Specialties Ltd unit on Ellison Street?

And would Valenbeck Ltd have the plaque in it's office reception?
I believe that Palmers changed over to Sterling in 1939, Sterling moved to the new factory in the late sixties and that is when the plaque was moved,also to the new premises which were still in Ellison Street. Sterling closed down in 1977 when all the workforce were made redundant. The building now belongs to Valenbeck and it may be possible that the plaque is still in the office reception at the front of the building. It is now a bit misleading as this is not the true location of the actual bombing, the true location is now Rohm and Haas car park to the left of their gatehouse.
tom.mul1945 Wrote:I believe that Palmers changed over to Sterling in 1939, Sterling moved to the new factory in the late sixties and that is when the plaque was moved,also to the new premises which were still in Ellison Street. Sterling closed down in 1977 when all the workforce were made redundant. The building now belongs to Valenbeck and it may be possible that the plaque is still in the office reception at the front of the building. It is now a bit misleading as this is not the true location of the actual bombing, the true location is now Rohm and Haas car park to the left of their gatehouse.

Tom so I take it that is the shed left of centre in this photo, is the one that Sterling Foundry took over in 1939 (to the left of Lennigs which it was then) which would be where you say is the car park for Dowe Chemicals now (formerly Rohm & Haas, before that Lennigs)
And as the photo is 1966 it would be Sterling Foundry shown on this photo

I know the memorial plaque was erected in one of Palmers Sheds in 1920 (I do not know what the shed was used for i.e. Boilershop)
As we know Palmers was shut 1933 (then reopened briefly in WW2)
In 1938 the shed was known as the Berengaria shed when they were scrapping the Berengaria
And as you say Sterling Foundry's took it over in 1939
Then it was demolished altogether in the late 60s
I remember that building getting demolished
James Street and Clayton Street ran down to it
You can see the waste ground of Ellison Street, James Street and Clayton Street in the photo
My grandparents lived in James Street till it was demolished in 1962 and rehoused in Lime Street (which is now Friar Way)

Up to now, I was always thought that the old Berengaria Shed was in old Lennigs? (then Rohm & Haas now Dowe Chemicals)

Photo from Norman Dunn's site (cheers Norman I know you won't mind me using it to illustrate this topic)

[Image: Page%20137%20004.jpg]

Oh 3 pubs on it:
You can just see the Albion bottom centre on Walter Street (now the Jarrow Crusader)
Across the road to it's right the County Hotel on Ormonde Street
Down the bottom of Walter street on the left the Golden Lion ........................
And the top of Jarrow Baths can be seen to the right on Walter Street

Oh and I notice there is a ship steaming in the Palmer's dock (the dock is now filled in at Dowe Chemicals)
I remember someone telling me that the Vickers Group, had taken it over briefly in the 50s - 60s? which was part of Vickers Armstrongs
I have just sent this email to Valenbeck's Head Office to save on telephoning or knocking on doors ...................

from Just Passing "just.passing@gmail.com"[/EMAIL]
"toaccounts@valenbeck.co.uk"
date Sun, Jul 4, 2010 at 9:32 PM
subject WW1 Civilian Memorial
mailed-bygmail.com

Valenbeck Ltd

Excuse me for infringing upon your time
But I was wondering if you could make an enquiry for me
Regarding the premises on the Bailey Industral Estate, Ellison Street, Jarrow, Tyne and Wear
Before your company took over the premises
It had been Sterling Foundry Specialties Ltd
And they had a plaque in Reception which Commemorated 12 civilians killed in WW1 in the Palmer Shipyard
The plaque had originally been in the Palmer Shipyard
If possible could you enquire for me if the plaque still exists at your Jarrow premises

Yours sincerely
JP
Good photo, thats right, the building to the left of Dowe Chemicals did belong to Sterling, it is now the car park I mentioned.