The Roberts family
looking for information on The Roberts Family from around 1912 maybe earlier .. they had 13 kids .. defo from jarrow gertude charlotte roberts ring a bell 2 any1 plz let me kno thanks x
Hi, I don't know if it's any help to you but sadly, Billy Roberts aged 89, died last Saturday 17th February. His wife, now deceased also, was named Lily. (nee Mc Cluskey.) Details are in the Shields Gazette of Wednesday 22nd Feb. They used to live in Kirkstone Avenue Jarrow. I knew the family years ago so if I can help just askSmile
Do you have any other names/details.address to go on?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Vikki Lawlor
No sorry, all info was in the Shields Gazette.
May your troubles be less, your blessings be more, nothing but happiness come through your door.
I worked with Billy Roberts at Baker perkins.

Challenge on ;-)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Vikki Lawlor
We know that Billy Roberts married Lily McClusky/McCluskey so freebmdindex (free) for marriage record...

England & Wales, Marriage Index: 1916-2005 about William J Robertsand Lilian McCluskey
Name: William J Roberts Spouse Surname: Mccluskey Date of registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1948 Registration district: Durham North Eastern Inferred County: Durham Volume Number: 1a Page Number: 1082

The marriage record tells us his name was William J Roberts (amazing what one little letter will do for a search) so we can narrow him down to one of three people... again, using freebmdindex.org. He is most likely to be the one born in 1922... why? We know he was 89 and most likely to be born in the South Tyneside and surrounding area... I searched 1920-1925 , County Durham.

Name: William J Roberts Mother's Maiden Surname: Kelly Date of registration: Jul-Aug-Sep 1922 Registration district: Gateshead Inferred County: Durham Volume Number: 10a Page Number: 1803

So now we know his Mams surname is Kelly. Again using freebmd (love that site!!) we search marriage records in County Durham in that timeframe....one result...

England & Wales, Marriage Index: 1916-2005 about Robert Roberts and Margaret E Kelly
Name: Robert Roberts Spouse Surname: Kelly Date of registration: Apr-May-Jun 1916 Registration district: Gateshead Inferred County: Durham Volume Number: 10a Page Number: 1626

Now we know that Robert Roberts will appear on the 1911 census and here we can use the free info on the findmypast.co.uk search results to find out how many Robert Roberts there are etc... there are 32 results... we can best guess that he would have been at least 18 when he married so he would likely have been born in the 1890s and probably South Shields/Jarrow (bearing in mind that S/S is the registration district so jarrow falls under that where registrations are concerned). I redefined the search to within 5 years either side of 1890 and put the residence as Jarrow, only one result. I type those details on ancestry.co.uk and find he's living with a German born pork butcher Henry Abel in 1911 at Staple Road, Jarrow. To possibly connect him to the Roberts the other user is looking for we need to look at the 1901 census. Again, this is all best guessing.

In the 1891 census the family lived in Stead Street, Jarrow but we learn the name of his mother and his siblings which we can then use to look up in the 1911 census...

That's where I'm up to on that.... no connection to the initial query as yet...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Vikki Lawlor
lhbothick Wrote:looking for information on The Roberts Family from around 1912 maybe earlier .. they had 13 kids .. defo from jarrow gertude charlotte roberts ring a bell 2 any1 plz let me kno thanks x

There is a birth record in the freebmd index for a Gertrude C Roberts 1912 mother's maiden name Marshall...
England & Wales, FreeBMD Birth Index, 1837-1915 about Gertrude C Roberts

Name: Gertrude C Roberts Mother's Maiden Name: Marshall Date of registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1912 Registration district: South Shields Inferred County: Durham Volume: 10a Page: 1813
marriage between a Marshall and a Roberts...
Trouble is there are a few so couldn't say for certain which is the right one.
There are two significant possibilities...
1902 Mary Jane Marshall married John Roberts
1904 Elizabeth Marshall married Edward Roberts
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Vikki Lawlor
They lived in Pine St Jarrow in the 60's before moving to Kirkstone Ave and Mrs Roberts was related to the McCluskeys of Langley Tce. (Jimmy) She also had a brother, Brian. Don't know a lot about Mr. Roberts.
May your troubles be less, your blessings be more, nothing but happiness come through your door.
Tilly Wrote:They lived in Pine St Jarrow in the 60's before moving to Kirkstone Ave and Mrs Roberts was related to the McCluskeys of Langley Tce. (Jimmy) She also had a brother, Brian. Don't know a lot about Mr. Roberts.

There is a birth record for Brian McCluskey in 1937 South Shields, mother's maiden name Sayers.... other children with the same search criteria include Charles 1922, Lilian 1924, James 1926, Dennis 1927 and Brian 1937.

Marriage between Sayers and McCluskey... Mar 1923 South Shields between a Lilian Sayers and Charles McCluskey.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Vikki Lawlor