The Lord Nelson
I know, this is debatable if it's in Hebburn or Jarrow.

[SVIEW]http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=JARROW+PUBS&sll=54.974658,-1.478519&sspn=0.068178,0.154324&gl=uk&ie=UTF8&cd=1&hq=PUBS&hnear=Jarrow,+UK&ll=54.966564,-1.501951&spn=0,359.890137&t=h&z=14&layer=c&cbll=54.966609,-1.501803&panoid=WZFvRWCWJ1-mizYEirD23g&cbp=13,22.89,,0,1.43[/SVIEW]
You can take the lad out of Jarrow but you can't take Jarrow out of the lad.
Sorry to say John Shield's one of the past licencee's has sadly passed away,I don't know how many year's he had The Nelson, but I know It was quite a few,my thought's are with his family at this very sad time. His wife taught at Mayfield School.
John's father Benny was the licensee until the early (or mid-) 1960's. In those days the gardens at the rear were a paradise for kids. Prior to having the Nelson Benny kept the White Lead, later known as Dougie's Tavern.

Patrick
mpjbrennan Wrote:John's father Benny was the licensee until the early (or mid-) 1960's. In those days the gardens at the rear were a paradise for kids. Prior to having the Nelson Benny kept the White Lead, later known as Dougie's Tavern.

Patrick
Thank's for that Patrick.I used to get in The White Lead but not until early 70s.
John was the 2nd of 3 generations to hold the license of the Nelson. He retired in the early 1990's when his son Michael became licensee.
Pauline M Wrote:John was the 2nd of 3 generations to hold the license of the Nelson. He retired in the early 1990's when his son Michael became licensee.
Thank's Pauline,I've just been over to my mate's house discussing who took over after John we knew It was his son but we couldn't remember his name.
fisherman Wrote:Thank's Pauline,I've just been over to my mate's house discussing who took over after John we knew It was his son but we couldn't remember his name.

There's a photo of John behind the bar of the Nelson in my photo album titled The Lord Nelson, Fisherman.
Yes Pauline I've seen that one.
[ATTACH]770[/ATTACH]

John Shields behind the bar of The Lord Nelson early 1990's

Attached Files
.jpg   010.jpg (Size: 202.94 KB / Downloads: 28)