The Don
I had walk around St Pauls area yesterday, and even though, its a very nice area, just one thing lets it down, the rubbish in the water. I,m talking about the part of the river behind the church next to the bridge. Road cone's plastic barrels and yes 'the shopping trolley. I,m sure this part could be cleaned up, after all this is the part where tourist who come to the area will see. So come on Jarra this is your history,and you's are very lucky to have it.
Yes agreed Colin. Wander down there around 5 times a week. Disgrace it is. Who do we contact to get this cleaned up? Wonder if anyone from the council or the local councillors come on here?
It was always full of rubbish when we played round there as kids but I thought they had cleaned things up lately.

I would have thought with St Paul's being part of World Heritage Site bid for Wearmouth-Jarrow, that there would be funding available to clean the area up. Maybe worth phoning them on 0191 424 7849 or leaving them a comment on their site.
You can take the lad out of Jarrow but you can't take Jarrow out of the lad.
Many thanks Admin will do.Sad
I was down behind the old church this afternoon the tide was just on the turn.From the tyne tunnel to the old church it was definately a bit whiffy.Behind the cemetary the bottle diggers have been at work again.one of the pits is about 4ft deep.

Admin Wrote:It was always full of rubbish when we played round there as kids but I thought they had cleaned things up lately.

I would have thought with St Paul's being part of World Heritage Site bid for Wearmouth-Jarrow, that there would be funding available to clean the area up. Maybe worth phoning them on 0191 424 7849 or leaving them a comment on their site.

Tried ringing the above number and she's out of the office until 11 September. What now? Confusedick:
Isn't there an official group which has monthly meetings, or something? A few of you could get together and attend the next meeting??? Just a thought!
Maybe Fisherman can answer this one.I see loads of lads fishing at the riverside park.Has anyone tried the don from the jarrow bridge to the river .It looks an ideal spot for flatties.I would have thought a lot would come in on the tide.

I mentioned this to Jarraman on our last walk down on this stretch of river, to me it's ideal for the Flattie's,I remember year's ago even if you lifted small rock's up you could see load's of small ragworm,so since they've widened the river and shifted a lot of these rock's leaving behind all the silt on the bottom,Ideal for Flattie's feeding and also concealing themselve's.
I've been out every day this week and I thought I'd post this photo on site,photo was taken from bridge at St.Paul's Church,it look's so different at High Tide.

Attached Files
.jpg   IMG_7491-2.JPG (Size: 263.03 KB / Downloads: 174)