T.V. as kid in jarra
OMG...reading through this thread brought back so many memories....lol..and Cait has aged another ten years for sure..lolWink To this day I still love my wireless playing in the background.. aye..memories to last a lifetime...
Mega Cait 'Thank You' ((hug))) to all who posted in this thread...blessings Cait
Like you Cait, I have to have the wireless going in the background all day. The tunes are not as memorable these days though!!

Mary, you metioned meters. I remember getting sent out to get pennies for the meter. I would wait for the 69 bus to come to the terminus in Stanhope Road, as it was then, and ask the conductor if he had change of 3d. He was usually obliging, but there were also grumpy ones!! I hated that job! Smile
Pat Wrote:Like you Cait, I have to have the wireless going in the background all day. The tunes are not as memorable these days though!!

Mary, you metioned meters. I remember getting sent out to get pennies for the meter. I would wait for the 69 bus to come to the terminus in Stanhope Road, as it was then, and ask the conductor if he had change of 3d. He was usually obliging, but there were also grumpy ones!! I hated that job! Smile

I remember the 69 bus pat, i used to catch it to me nana's who lived in stanhope rd opposite the shops.
Cait Wrote:OMG...reading through this thread brought back so many memories....lol..and Cait has aged another ten years for sure..lolWink To this day I still love my wireless playing in the background.. aye..memories to last a lifetime...
Mega Cait 'Thank You' ((hug))) to all who posted in this thread...blessings Cait

Hi Cait, I'll put a few lines together about your early TV. days.
Post it tomorrow. Freddie.
Pat Wrote:Like you Cait, I have to have the wireless going in the background all day. The tunes are not as memorable these days though!!

You could see the 69 coming round the corner onto the main road from our house and I used to wiat for it to appear before making my way down the "bumpy path" to the bus stop at Lindisfarne.
I could get the 18 as well but it went too fast coming from shields and if you waited until you could see it , you were sometimes too slow to catch it.
There was more chance of getting on the 69 too as it onlly had one or two stops before Lindisfarne, and it was a double decker.
you could jump on while it was moving as it was open at the back where the stairs came down and there was a hand-rail to swing on. Big Grin
I haven't ridden on the 69 or 18 since around 1960-ish. Do they still run?

Very few people had cars, so the buses used to be the main form of transport. I have one of the old white tickets somewhere. The conductor wrote the amount on the ticket.
The 69 used to go down Etal Crescent, stop in Stanhope Road, then go up Auckland and back onto the Newcastle Road.
Pat Wrote:I haven't ridden on the 69 or 18 since around 1960-ish. Do they still run?

Very few people had cars, so the buses used to be the main form of transport. I have one of the old white tickets somewhere. The conductor wrote the amount on the ticket.
The 69 used to go down Etal Crescent, stop in Stanhope Road, then go up Auckland and back onto the Newcastle Road.

Pat the 69 and 18 Haven't run for years, there are bus's that go similar routs but for some reason they keep changing the numbers, I don;t think any of them go down croft terrace now,with the new one way system around Bedeburn Road and york street area,some time even I can;t keep up with the changes.:noidea::noidea:
Mary Wrote:Pat the 69 and 18 Haven't run for years, there are bus's that go similar routs but for some reason they keep changing the numbers, I don;t think any of them go down croft terrace now,with the new one way system around Bedeburn Road and york street area,some time even I can;t keep up with the changes.:noidea::noidea:

Yes
No buses go down Croft Terrace now ...........
And theres only one that goes along Monkton Terrace and Springwell Road
As I've mentioned before... if they ever demolish the Ben Lomond and the Town Hall I would never find my way around the 'new' Jarrow!!! Smile
Letmein5 Wrote:Hi Cait, I'll put a few lines together about your early TV. days.
Post it tomorrow. Freddie.
Thanks Freddie, looking forward to reading your post...
As a child living with my nan, i used to go to sleep listening to classical music..and wake up to the BBC home service...I still say wireless instead of radio....lol....gives my age away.
And like Pat I always have my wireless on during the day....nothing better years ago listening to stories via the wireless, only the light from the fire casting shadows on the ceiling...and the best time was in the winter months...snow or rain outside..aahh!! but cozy inside listening to tunes or stories...pure magic.....SmileSmile