T.V. as kid in jarra
Almost right Birdman!!
This was the time when we hard working housewives had a break, before starting the dinner which had to be ready, and the table set, for the man of the house when he came in from work!!!!!
Smile Smile Smile Things were so different then..........! (I'm only half joking)
That was house wifes choice, ah the memories come flooding back.SmileSmileSmile Family favourets was always on on a Sunday.
Don't they just Mary. It was about that time that
Desert Island Discs started.
Letmein5 Wrote:Don't they just Mary. It was about that time that
Desert Island Discs started.

I didn't used listen to desert island discs much, Just the odd occasion, don't remember that much about it. But the request programs I loved, even got a tune played on one once.
Of course, no electricity those days, much money for that matter.
We had an old Wireless set and I remember having to carry the
accumulator all the way to Ryan's shop in Monkton Road to be
charged then carry one all the way back. Were'nt allowed on the
bus because of the acid.
Letmein5 Wrote:Of course, no electricity those days, much money for that matter.
We had an old Wireless set and I remember having to carry the
accumulator all the way to Ryan's shop in Monkton Road to be
charged then carry one all the way back. Were'nt allowed on the
bus because of the acid.

Yes letmein I remember the accumulator's, and the old gas mantles, and the gas and electric meter's which you had to feed with coins,( I had them in the first house I was in when I got married) and the man used to come around to empty them and sometime if you where lucky you got a rebate.Confusedad:Confusedad:Confusedad:
Me dads fist job was charging and delivering accumilators at Masons the Chemist in Jarrow,He used to use on of those bikes with a basket on the front

tedg Wrote:Me dads fist job was charging and delivering accumilators at Masons the Chemist in Jarrow,He used to use on of those bikes with a basket on the front

there are still a few of those bikes around, I seen one still in use last year, when I was on holiday down south. the butcher boy used to have one, but so did a lot of shops in those days.
Mary Wrote:there are still a few of those bikes around, I seen one still in use last year, when I was on holiday down south. the bucher boy used to have one, but so did a lot of shops in those days.
I was a Butcher boy with one these bike's,small wheel on the front,mind it was heavy going when the basket was fully loaded.
There's one outside the robin hood.See it when I go in. not sure about when I come out.:o