St Paul's Monastery
bundy Wrote:hi cait the stocks were there in the 1950s.

Hi Bundy, thanks for the date about the stocks..one of the family has an old postcard showing it, but the card needs a good clean up by all accounts..cheers Cait
ps, some smashing info on this thread about underground tunnels phew!! its all history of our area, brilliant.
Mary Wrote:I vagley remember some old stocks from when I was a kid, I also remember a stone coffin in the grounds is that still there?, next time I go down I will make a point of looking where I remember it was.
Here's the stone coffin you mentioned Mary.As I said It's at the side entance now.

Attached Files
.jpg   100_4061.JPG (Size: 346.51 KB / Downloads: 11)
I was there this morning took some snaps of it to post.I'll not bother now.Just inside the gate of the church there a pair of what look like iron frames with curved spikes on the top.I am sure these had been fixed together around the old stocks to protect them from vandalism.

tedg Wrote:I was there this morning took some snaps of it to post.I'll not bother now.Just inside the gate of the church there a pair of what look like iron frames with curved spikes on the top.I am sure these had been fixed together around the old stocks to protect them from vandalism.
I'm not to sure,but I seem to remember The Stock's being near side entrance.Is that the gate you mentioned.
fisherman Wrote:I'm not to sure,but I seem to remember The Stock's being near side entrance.Is that the gate you mentioned.
The frames are on either side of front gate on Church bank.I always thought they were on the right hand side of the gate.Maybe they were moved when the graveyard was landscaped.

Attached Files
.jpg   npc8501.jpg (Size: 54.98 KB / Downloads: 28)

fisherman Wrote:Here's the stone coffin you mentioned Mary.As I said It's at the side entance now.

thanks for the picture fisherman, the old grey matter must still be working o.k. for me to remember about that.Smile
I was walking in the Pennines last week and I had a few pints and look where I found myself the next morning.
Cheers

Attached Files
.jpg   pennines 093.jpg (Size: 1,005.5 KB / Downloads: 25)
Nice one Adventurer Big GrinBig Grin
The Adventurer Wrote:I was walking in the Pennines last week and I had a few pints and look where I found myself the next morning.
Cheers
I hope they keep you there.Big Grin.You know I'm only kidding.Wink
Why's St pauls closed on a sunday? loads of people down there today but the church was locked up.Not good for the world heritage bid I would have thought.