St Paul's Monastery
I don't know if there is any truth in it, but I was once told that there is or was a tunnel which runs from St Pauls all the way to St Marys at Heworth. This sounds a bit far fetched to me, and may be rubbish, but I was just wondering if anyone else had heard this.:confused::der:
There was supposed to be one from the monstery to bedes well at monkton.There never was though.

I often wonder if any of the 'Friends of Saint Pauls and the Monastery' ever visit the Forum. It would be great if they could post some info for others on site. cheers CaitSmile
Cait Wrote:One of the family had a postcard showing some old wooden stocks and they said they used to be down by the church..are they still there?
hi cait the stocks were there in the 1950s.
bundy Wrote:hi cait the stocks were there in the 1950s.

I vagley remember some old stocks from when I was a kid, I also remember a stone coffin in the grounds is that still there?, next time I go down I will make a point of looking where I remember it was.
Mary Wrote:I vagley remember some old stocks from when I was a kid, I also remember a stone coffin in the grounds is that still there?, next time I go down I will make a point of looking where I remember it was.
Hi Mary,The Stone Coffin you mention Is still there,It's In the side entrance in St.Paul's Church.
hi all i remember the time before Bedes chair was cordoned off and anyone visiting could sit on it.
colin Wrote:I don't know if there is any truth in it, but I was once told that there is or was a tunnel which runs from St Pauls all the way to St Marys at Heworth. This sounds a bit far fetched to me, and may be rubbish, but I was just wondering if anyone else had heard this.:confused::der:

Its quite possible, Colin. It comes from the time when people were persecuted for their religious beliefs. There used to be 'priest holes' in many churches and many, rich families wanting to escape persecution used to have escape tunnels built into their homes. There are a number of huge buildings in Newcastle that still have the tunnels. Some going all the way to buildings in North Shields. I used to know a family in Howdon and the great grandfather used to tell the young ones that he had once walked through a tunnel, from Newcastle to Wallsend while working for a well-to-do Newcastle family. The kids used to laugh but it was true. But, so near the river any tunnel would be flooded. The ones I've heard about, read about or seen have been a lot higher up from the river.
Would that be the victoria tunnel that ran from Spittal tongues to the river.It was dug because the landowner wouldn't allow the pit owner to put a waggonway in to get the coal down to the river .So instead of going overland he went underneath.

That would have been another one or the one leading/added to the older one. In later years many uses were found for the older tunnels. Most of them narrow or hand cart width. There's photos of an even older tunnel in Wallsend, that the Romans built.

Was that the one they used as a air raid shelters? I had forgotten about that one.