Seeking Relatives of Michael Riley
Trying to trace any relatives of Michael (Micky) Riley, while he did live in William Street during War Years...then later moved to Shakespeare Ave in Hebburn ( he died late 60s) He had a cousin who worked in Hebburn Precinct but lived Jarrow area.
He also used the Jarrow Pubs, more than Hebburn to meet up with old friends..if anyone has any info, please do post a message.
thank youSmile

Attached Files
.jpg   Image009 bw w.jpg (Size: 23.59 KB / Downloads: 19)
Its been a good while now since I posted asking for info on Micky Riley. seeing as we have lots more members now on site..fingers crossed one of their relatives may have details.
Any information no matter how small would be of great help..cheers CaitSmile
Cait Wrote:Its been a good while now since I posted asking for info on Micky Riley. seeing as we have lots more members now on site..fingers crossed one of their relatives may have details.
Any information no matter how small would be of great help..cheers CaitSmile

You need something to start the ball rolling bonny lass ..................

Do you know what family he had Cait
Or at least when he was born (did he die in his 60s or 1960s?)
Putting the names of his siblings on might connect up with someone else who has not done any family research
Here are 3 michael Riley's on the South Tyneside Registry Office site
Michael Riley born Westoe 1880
Michael Riley born Jarrow 1896
Michael Riley born South Shields 1926

Was he Michael Riley born Jarrow 1896?
If so he would be 4 or 5 on the 1901 census
If so he would be 14 or 15 on the 1911 census

And a higher resolution scan of his photo would help (this is the best I can do with it)
To print and show round the old timers
As you know they get short on the 'old lamp oil'

[Image: mickriley.jpg?1277645528]

Do any of these 5 lads (born between 1888 and 1896) mean anything to you Cait
All killed WW1
They were either born or lived in Jarrow (one was living in Hebburn and one living Blaydon)
The first one James Hodgen Riley born India
That means his father Peter would of been serving in the Army in India when he was born
(wives would go out to India with them in the days of the old 'Raj')

James Hodgen Riley Fireman 774011
HMS "Viknor" Mercantile Marine Reserve
Age 27 who died on 13th January 1915
Born at Dinaport India.
Son of Peter and B. Riley.
Husband of Bridget Riley of 7 Walter Street Jarrow
Grave/Memorial Reference. Plymouth Naval Memorial. 9
Also Commemorated St. Pauls Church Jarrow

James Riley Gunner 770271
5th Army Brigade Royal Horse Artillery and Royal Field Artillery
Age 26 who died 17th June 1918
Son of Bernard Arthur and Isabella Riley of Hebburn Colliery
Husband of Isabella Riley of 24 Wood Street Hebburn Colliery
Born Jarrow
Enlisted Hebburn
Lived Hebburn
Grave/Memorial Reference. Terlincthun Military Cemetery Wimile. I. A. 22

Lancelot Riley Private 45105
1st/4th Battalion Yorkshire Regiment
Age 23 who died on 7th November 1917
Son of Rebecca Riley of 45 Beech Street Jarrow, and the late Thomas Riley.
Grave/Memorial Reference. Mendinghem Military Cemetery. III. AA. 22

Michael Riley Private17339
12th Battalion West Yorkshire Regiment (Prince of Wales's Own)
(Formerly 15325 East Yorkshire Regiment)
Age 20 who died on 28th March 1916
Born Jarrow
Enlisted Jarrow
Son of Anthony and Catherine Riley
Grave/Memorial Reference: Elzenwalle Brasserie Cemetery. VI. B. 4

William Riley Private 32574
1/9th Battalion Durham Light Infantry
Who died on 24th September 1918
Born Jarrow
Enlisted Newcastle
Living Blaydon

I think this is the same person on CWGC site? (slight variation in army number and battalion)

William Riley Private 325774
2nd Battalion Durham Light Infantry
Age 30 who died on 24th September 1918
Son of John and Bridget Riley of 56 Cuthbert Street Blaydon
Husband of Alice Riley of 107 Edward Street Blaydon
Grave/Memorial Reference: Vis-En-Artois Memorial. Panel 9
Hi JP, many thanks for posting the larger photo of Micky Riley. Apart from the information I had first posted in this thread. His last known address was Shakespeare Ave in Hebburn, prior to that I am told he lived William Street Hebburn.
He died in the 1960s, and I was told he may have been born in Ireland?.
He did have family a cousin female who worked in a little tobbaco shop opposite the TSB Bank in Hebburn Precinct ( the same shop today sells carpets)Sorry I dont have her name or any details of any other members of his family.
Sadly our family members who may have had more details died a few years ago..
So it maybe that we will never find out more about Micky Riley, and he was a good friend of the senior members of our family.
The story I was told is that when he died no one told our family till after his funeral..that upset a good few..he was buried in Hebburn Cemetary but no headstone.
The names you posted I will make a note of just in case they do turn out to be relations of Mickys...Many thanks again JP..blessings Cait
I could only find this for the time frame you give:

[Image: rileydeath.jpg?t=1277904601]

Michael Riley died September quarter 1967 age 66 Durham S E 1a 539

Now I phoned Durham Register Office and they told me South Shields came under Durham South East then

So it's the old story of giving these a ring:
Phone:
0191 427 3190
Bereavement Services
South Shields Crematorium
John Reid Road
South Shields NE34 9DT

They should be only looking for 1 Michael Riley who died in 1967 (I cannot find any others)

And find out where he was buried (could be South Shields, Jarrow or Hebburn)
And find the co-ordinates (I will leave that to you)

Here is the Hebburn Cemetery map again:

[Image: hebburn.jpg?1277477871]

Anyhow could not find a birth for him?

Then when I check the 1901 census it figures, I think this is your man
90% certain

Jarrow 1901 Census
32 Princess Street
Thomas Riley age 25 Platers Labourer in Shipyard born Ireland
Mary Riley wife age 24 born Ireland
Michael Riley son age 1 yr born Scotland

Not born Ireland but Scotland (his parents are Ireland)

A check for the family on the 1911 census will turn up any siblings (brothers or sisters for Michael)
I will leave that to you

This will be them:
Thomas Riley born 1876 Galway age 35 residing Jarrow
Mary Riley born 1877 Galway age 34 residing Jarrow
Michael Riley born 1900 Scotland age 11 residing Jarrow

Possibly children Mary and a Thomas residing with them? (any birth cert would give mothers maiden name)
And who did they marry I wonder
I take it Michael never married .........

And a look on the 1910 ratepayers gives you 2 Thomas Riley's (Michael's father)

Thomas Riley (Renting) 37 York Street Back in Jarrow
Thomas Riley (Renting) 123 Albert Road in Jarrow

One other thing the 5 Riley's who died WW1 cannot be his brothers because they were all born before 1900
Mind Michael would be too young to join up himself:
age 14 in 1914
age 18 in 1918
Hi JP, just read your post about Michael Riley..omg Its looking like this is the 'Micky Riley' we have been searching for so long..Truly I can't thank you enough for taking the time to do the research.
I know I keep saying this but you are a 'Star' and a brilliant researcher..the words 'Thank You' don't seem enough.
From the details we will now get a death/birth/marriage certs and other data from the relevant offices.
The fact that Michael Riley was born in Scotland and his parents born in Ireland, is yet another missing bit of our jigsaw.
As some of our relatives did move from Ireland to Scotland to work on farms, and they were all so close friends to the Riley family.
Over time our relations then moved down to Jarrow and Hebburn to work in the North East shipping Industry .
And I can only assume for now that the Riley family also moved to this part of the world around the same time or not long after.
Mega 'Thank You' JP:first: if it all turns out positive I owe you more than a few pints of the local brew....blessings Cait and Family
Hi,
May I add that the Michael Riley, Private 17339 born 1896, was my Great Uncle. He was born in Primrose Hill Hospital, and he lived in Davison Street in Boldon Colliery. Sadly he was killed in WW1. My Wife and I visited his grave in Belgium last year. I am the only family member who has visited his grave.
Martin
martinfbrown Wrote:Hi,
May I add that the Michael Riley, Private 17339 born 1896, was my Great Uncle. He was born in Primrose Hill Hospital, and he lived in Davison Street in Boldon Colliery. Sadly he was killed in WW1. My Wife and I visited his grave in Belgium last year. I am the only family member who has visited his grave.
Martin

I had 3 great uncles killed in Belgium WW1 from Jarrow
No one from their family (including myself) has ever been able to visit their WW1 Graves or Memorials

Till about 10 years ago when CWGC came online, no one in the majority of families in the UK ever knew if their relations had a grave or Memorial overseas

Your great uncle Michael Riley Private 17339, has no commemoration whatsoever in his home town of Jarrow
I put a reference book in Jarrow library a couple of years ago, but it does not include your great uncle (I had not came across him at the time)

On the CWGC it does not mention, where he was born, where he lived, where he enlisted, his age or any family
This is all the details it has:
Michael Riley Private 17339
Who died on 28th March 1916

So only you and your family would know of his links with Jarrow
(your great uncle is only one of hundreds from Jarrow I have researched i.e. Soldiers who died in the Great War, Regimental Diaries, Censuses, Medal Index Cards etc ...)

Thats how I came up with the relevant details of:
Michael Riley Private 17339
(Formerly 15325 East Yorkshire Regiment)
Age 20 who died on 28th March 1916
Born Jarrow
Enlisted Jarrow
Son of Anthony and Catherine Riley

We have a Cenotaph in Jarrow with 185 names on it
The number of war dead for Jarrow for both wars is at least 1187
So our Cenotaph in Jarrow only commemorates 16% of our War Dead .....
(Most towns have even added those Shot at Dawn to there Cenotaphs now)

We have at least 757 war dead for Jarrow for WW1

We have 185 names on our Cenotaph instead of at least 757 (WW1) and in nearly a century the powers that be, have never even lifted a finger to correct it?

I am putting together a DVD (spent 3 years up to now) of the Jarrow War Rolls
Which I will be putting in Jarrow Library for reference (not for sale)
Hopefully before 2014

So if you wish anything to be added feel free to add it on here or contact me ..............................
martinfbrown Wrote:Hi,
Martin

Many thanks Martin for posting your details, it was during some research on my Michael Riley that our super member Just Passing listed the others with the same name. Its a lovely thought that you visited your Great Uncles resting place...Cait
Hi,
I have all the details of my Great Uncle. His gravestone does not have his age on it, but I have a copy of his birth certificate. The thing that I am not sure about is where he actually enlisted.
Martin