School trips and holidays
I remember when I was at Hedworthfield all the school trips and holidays they used to have. Especially Thurston and Howtown in the Lakes were we went Fell Walking, Rock Climbing, Sailing and Canoeing. Oh happy days Big Grin
When I was at the Central school we went to Patterdale. Done the usual Absailing, Hiking and Rock climbing.

We also went camping at Halwhistle/Greenhead.

Are the kids still allowed to go on trips with the school?
I remember being on a Trip Bus up to Holy Island one year with friends, and alot of school kids from the North East were on Holiday. I gather some schools sent pupils up every year...I bet for some kids it was their first ever holiday.. cheers Cait:ranger:
I know it sounds sad but some kids think going across the river is like going abroad
Bazza899 Wrote:I know it sounds sad but some kids think going across the river is like going abroad

A good few years ago I was training some junior staff, and one of the girls asked " What you doing at the weekend?" as it was I was visiting family near the coast that very weekend. The lass lived near Beamish and said she had never been to the coast...aahh!! Sad
Bazza899 Wrote:I know it sounds sad but some kids think going across the river is like going abroad
That reminded me of a funny story, about 7 years ago when my youngest daughter was 6 my parents took her on the ferry when they got off she asked if they spoke our language there, then just the other week out of the blue she said to me they do speak another language in Norway I asked her what she meant and she said remember when I went to Norway with Nanna and Granda I had to explain to her inbetween laughing that they went to North Shields not Norway, I wouldn't care but she is very well travelled and has even been to Australia twice!!
When I was in junior school we went to Alston and senior school we went to wooler ( mon-Fri)
jarraman Wrote:When I was at the Central school we went to Patterdale. Done the usual Absailing, Hiking and Rock climbing.

We also went camping at Halwhistle/Greenhead.

Are the kids still allowed to go on trips with the school?

They do but the problem is getting teaches to volunteer to go along. They're not obliged to go as it's not strictly part of their job and with today's culture of blaim claim', any 'mishap' can see the teacher taking the blame.
You can take the lad out of Jarrow but you can't take Jarrow out of the lad.
Its a shame that. I'm sure the school kids would learn so much if they went away with the school and go camping living in the wild.

Teachers unfortunately who can blame them?
My youngest son used to love going to holy island with the the brothers of saint de vincent de paul.from st Marys.He used to come back scruffy Knackered and full of sand.
tedg Wrote:My youngest son used to love going to holy island with the the brothers of saint de vincent de paul.from st Marys.He used to come back scruffy Knackered and full of sand.

Picture of St Bede camp @ holy island.

Attached Files
.jpg   st_bedes_camp_1966.jpg (Size: 102.95 KB / Downloads: 34)