Scanlon
Scanlon.

Phelim Scanlon DOB (unknown) born Ireland.
Married Sarah DOB (unknown) born Ireland

1871 census they all lived in Jarrow.

Daughters, Catherine and Bridget.
Sons, John, Michael, Philem.
All children born in England.
If you have the above Scanlon Family names in your 'Family Tree' please do post details below.
Could Scanlon become Scanlan?????
The is a gravestone in Jarrow cemetry for
R. Scanlan, private, 205025, Durham Light Infantry.
Date of death 23Oct1918 aged 21
grave W.393
Son of Annie Scanlan, of 22, Stanley St., Jarrow, and the late Alfred Scanlan.
I was related by marriage (ex) to a mr. Scanlon, who was the mayor of Jarrow at one time. He lived in his later years in Lawson Ave. at Simonside.
pronto105 Wrote:Could Scanlon become Scanlan?????
The is a gravestone in Jarrow cemetry for
R. Scanlan, private, 205025, Durham Light Infantry.
Date of death 23Oct1918 aged 21
grave W.393
Son of Annie Scanlan, of 22, Stanley St., Jarrow, and the late Alfred Scanlan.

SmileCheers Pronto for posting the info, I have made a note and will check records with family. The name Scanlon in some cases did get written down as Scanlan..you find this often happens, thats why every bit of research has to be checked a few times...SmileThank you Cait
hartman045 Wrote:I was related by marriage (ex) to a mr. Scanlon, who was the mayor of Jarrow at one time. He lived in his later years in Lawson Ave. at Simonside.

SmileHi Hartman, fingers crossed says Cait, but do you know what year your Mr Scanlon was Mayor?...any details no matter how small maybe of great value to the Family Research...Thank you CaitSmile
Sorr I don't. However the information regarding former Jarrow Mayors and Councillors should be available from Jarrow Town Hall.
hartman045 Wrote:Sorr I don't. However the information regarding former Jarrow Mayors and Councillors should be available from Jarrow Town Hall.

WinkSorry..aahh!! I never thought of the Town Hall..I will mention to family and they can check it out...cheers CaitSmile
Could this be one of your distant relatives Cait? I extracted this from "The Newcastle Weekly Courant" Dated Saturday, November 22, 1890. It's worth following up.

[Image: scanlan.gif]
Good bit of detective work there Hartman.
Wow! Hartman, that is one great bit of research you found, again I will check details with family records, to find out if he was a relative...fingers crossed...
Mega 'Thank You' for posting the info...cheers CaitSmile