Reece
Does anyone happpen to know of William Victor REECE - a retired accountant who lived at 33 Bede Burn Road Jarrow. He died at this address in 1st March 1957.
Which newspaper would you suggest I look in for a death notice and which cemetery for a grave stone please?
Hi Margaret. Sure you will get lots of help on here.

The nearest cemetary is in Jarrow itself and the local Newspaper is the Shields Gazette.

That's a start for you. The experts will help you later I'm sure of that.
Margaret Wrote:Does anyone happpen to know of William Victor REECE - a retired accountant who lived at 33 Bede Burn Road Jarrow. He died at this address in 1st March 1957.
Which newspaper would you suggest I look in for a death notice and which cemetery for a grave stone please?

Try this first anyone you may get the info for free (it used to be if you had the date of death and the Cemetery?)
Phone:
0191 427 3190
Bereavement Services
South Shields Crematorium
John Reid Road
South Shields NE34 9DT

But things may have changed going by their website
Go to:
http://www.southtyneside.info/environment/cemeteries/cemeteries-in-south-tyneside/jarrow-cemetery.asp
Go to e-services on right hand column
Click on Find a grave/genealogical search

Also there is a map there of the cemetery

South Shields Library Local History Department has all the Jarrow Cemetery burials on a microfilm
It is in chronological order (date) so you need to have the date of death, or it can take you days

South Shields Library Local History Department has also Newspapers available on microfiche
Shields Gazette
1849 to date
Jarrow Chronicle
1 April 1871 to 16 December 1871
Jarrow Express
13 December 1873 to 26 December 1913
Jarrow Guardian
6 January 1872 to 31 December 1880
Jarrow Labour Herald
6 April 1906 to 15 March 1907
Thanks for your reply, but the 14 pounds they charge for a search of grave is too expensive for me, I already paid 7 to get certificate.
Have you tried the S.Shields Library that Just Passing suggested? They used to have all sorts of genealogy stuff, but don't know if they have moved some of it.?? It can be an expensive thing if you don't do your own searching.
Pat Wrote:Have you tried the S.Shields Library that Just Passing suggested? They used to have all sorts of genealogy stuff, but don't know if they have moved some of it.?? It can be an expensive thing if you don't do your own searching.

She is living New Zealand Pat
UMMM....... that would be canny walk!!!!

Read somewhere that the price of certificates is going up in April.
Margaret if your still there .......

Local History section of South Shields Library:

Jarrow Cemetery for the whole of 1957 (nothing)
Hebburn Cemetery for the whole of 1957 (nothing)
Harton Cemetery for the whole of 1957 (nothing)
Cremations did not start here till 1961
Just read the post and wonder if they are buried at Heworth? I can recall my late Nan saying some of our family buried at Heworth Church (by the Metro interchange)maybe worth checking out...cheers Cait
Thanks for your ideas and information, where would the nearest crematorium to Jarrow be please? and would the records be online?