Primrose {Glasgow Road} library 50th celebration
Primrose Library , Glasgow Road , on the SCOTCH ESTATE [not Primrose] is celebrating its 50th Birthday  opening. WEDNESDAY  03 December   10 am to noon. Coffee Morning,  60's Quiz.   
Please come along and help to celebrate 50 years of the library.   if you have any pictures or memories --bring them along --all the better.
(29 Nov 14, 6:38 PM)pronto105 Wrote:  Primrose Library , Glasgow Road , on the SCOTCH ESTATE [not Primrose] is celebrating its 50th Birthday  opening. WEDNESDAY  03 December   10 am to noon. Coffee Morning,  60's Quiz.   
Please come along and help to celebrate 50 years of the library.   if you have any pictures or memories --bring them along --all the better.

I might try and pop over,I've got no photo's but It'll be good to meet up with you to say hello...
(30 Nov 14, 12:15 AM)fisherman Wrote:  
(29 Nov 14, 6:38 PM)pronto105 Wrote:  Primrose Library , Glasgow Road , on the SCOTCH ESTATE [not Primrose] is celebrating its 50th Birthday  opening. WEDNESDAY  03 December   10 am to noon. Coffee Morning,  60's Quiz.   

I might try and pop over,I've got no photo's but It'll be good to meet up with you to say hello...

Happy 50th, had some great games of footie round the back of the library, do the kids still hang out round the back like we did. 
Pronto105, I used that library when it first opened and one of the first librarians to work there lived in Dilston terrace.

A girl in my class at Valley View school, name of Jean Laverick, lived in the same house so the lady at the library could have been her sister. I remember her as being tall, willowy and blonde.

Back then you were issued with four tickets and that was the limit of the number of books you could get out at any one time. However, I was studying at the time and quite often she let me have 8-10 books and put multiple book slips into my tickets.

50 years on I would like to thank her for that courtesy if she is still around.

If the library has a display of past librarian photo's of that time and if any of the retired ones have been invited, and provided someone from jarrowlife calls in, the odd photo would be appreciated.
(02 Dec 14, 10:19 PM)Birdman Wrote:  Pronto105, I used that library when it first opened and one of the first librarians to work there lived in Dilston terrace.

A girl in my class at Valley View school, name of Jean Laverick, lived in the same house so the lady at the library could have been her sister. I remember her as being tall, willowy and blonde.

Back then you were issued with four tickets and that was the limit of the number of books you could get out at any one time. However, I was studying at the time and quite often she let me have 8-10 books and put multiple book slips into my tickets.

50 years on I would like to thank her for that courtesy if she is still around.

If the library has a display of past librarian photo's of that time and if any of the retired ones have been invited, and provided someone from jarrowlife calls in, the odd photo would be appreciated.

Birdman I hope to get over to library tomorrow I'll see what I can do for you.....
St Mary's school provided a choir who sang carols.  Thanks to those who attended (Syd). The mayor attended as did some of the ex-librarians and regular library users.
(03 Dec 14, 3:29 PM)pronto105 Wrote:  St Mary's school provided a choir who sang carols.    Thanks to those who attended (Syd). The mayor attended as did some of the ex-librarians and regular library users.
.Good to meet you pronto enjoyed our little chat...Also a message for Birdman.I asked about Jean Laverick and the only name's that were mentioned were a Hannah & Barbara Laverick....Sorry I couldn't help anymore....I've got a few photo's from the 50th anniversary to put on site but I won't get them on until tomorrow...
Some photos from the anniversay,,,,,

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)