Mayfield
I was at Mayfield from 45 - 50
I remember the green bloomers. We had to make them ourselves, it was our first needlework project. They were made out of a hard cotton material which softened up after he first wash. The we made dresses from an old banner which was a blue material like a glazes cotton , we had to unpick all the stitching even the ebroidery from the cloth. I loved my dress it was a princess line made in panels the full liength of the dress. The nest year made pyjamas. I have lovely memoriesof Mayfield
mamamkyle Wrote:I was at Mayfield from 45 - 50
I remember the green bloomers. We had to make them ourselves, it was our first needlework project. They were made out of a hard cotton material which softened up after he first wash. The we made dresses from an old banner which was a blue material like a glazes cotton , we had to unpick all the stitching even the ebroidery from the cloth. I loved my dress it was a princess line made in panels the full liength of the dress. The nest year made pyjamas. I have lovely memoriesof Mayfield

Can you remember the old fashioned phone at the entrance to the cloakroom in the Domestic Science building? Also, the massive banister leading up to the Head's room and upstairs classrooms? Great days!!!Smile We made skirts & aprons but a few of us were taught how to make can-can slips, dresses including zips.
I was at Mayfield Infants from 51to54. Miss Mulholland was in charge, Miss Coyle or Miss Margaret Smith where my Teachers. I made my first holy communion on the 17th june 1954 at St Bedes Church.
(21 Jun 10, 6:08 PM)Jade Wrote:  
jarrowlad Wrote:I went to Mayfield when I was about 6 or 7 in its last years before demolished. I have very sharp memories of it. The 2 sisters who were teachers I think - real ladies - the old fashioned but quaint classrooms, Sister Theresa! Scary lady! The classrooms in the school yard near the wall - girl guidee huts I think? The big staircase going upstairs with the headmistresses huge room (maybe because I was so small!) I remember it as a beautiful old fashioned school and even when it was demolished I was so sad as I had very happy memories there as a child. It really should have been saved. Anyone have any information as to what before it was a school? My mam remembers it as a very posh house, but she also went there, would have been about 1948? Rosemary Wallace.

Yes it was so sad. I came back to Jarrow and was shocked to see the new houses on the site. It should have been a listed building. Even a grade 2.  I wonder what happened to the photos and paintings. There was some good stuff there. I left 1961. I was told that years ago it was a monestary, that nuns lived there at another time and that there used to be priest holes. There was some hidie holes in the attic but I doubt if they were priest hole but possible.

I remember 3 girls who went to Mayfield, Cathy O"Neil who lived in Lindesfarne Road, her dad was a bookies runner for Louis Botto. Joan Smith & Anne Donneley who both lived on the Scotch estate. I believe Anne married Bede Hughes. We had some great laughs in 1959 in the playing fields behind Lindesfarne Road.