Mayfield
joanii Wrote:Yes it was so sad. I came back to Jarrow and was shocked to see the new houses on the site. It should have been a listed building. Even a grade 2. I wonder what happened to the photos and paintings. There was some good stuff there. I left 1961. I was told that years ago it was a monestary, that nuns lived there at another time and that there used to be priest holes. There was some hidie holes in the attic but I doubt if they were priest hole but possible.
My wife went there from 1970 to 1975 she was in the last year to wear the green uniform.She can't remember any nuns or infant school kids being there.what years were you there Jarralad.

I was about 6 when I went there so it would have been round the 1976-7 range. There was a Sister Theresa there, I remember her well. I think the school was demolished (or left empty) shortly after that.
Just Passing Wrote:Mayfield is down on the 1881 census as:
Fern Villa (now called Mayfield Villa)

So it must of been a grand house later used as a school
I'm sure there was a photo of this house at the photo exhibition they had in Jarrow Library,sure there was Tennis Court in front of house,later to be the School yard.I know a lady who is part of the group if I see her I will ask if it is posssible to get a copy of photo.
I think we are all for progress, but when buildings get demolished and no record or photos are saved I find that very sad. I am lucky in that many of my Elder family members took photographs..lol..I still have some of their old cameras.

A few of my uncles had to travel all over for work but the same ones took tons of photos and collected bits and bobs and postcards of old views. Now that the younger generation are trying to complete our family history, its the sorting out of the old pictures and the like..its brilliant.
I always tell friends to ask lots of questions and see if their elder family members have photos of events etc, Fingers crossed some photos of Mayfield Building turn up and maybe some history to add to the thread. cheers Cait
When I went to Mayfield there used to be a system whereby, good and bad conduct marks were handed out. We also had assemblies every morning with 1 on Friday 3.30pm 'ish, to round off the week.

One Friday pm Miss Baker announced that I had got the record by getting 100 merit marks but I was going to be caned in front of the whole school for getting over 100 bad conduct marks. I tried to 'argue my way out of it' because the 100 merit marks should cancel the 100 odd bad conduct marks...It never worked cos I still got the cane.

And we used to have 4 'houses' I can't remember them all but two of them were Saint Cecilia [yellow]and Saint Hilda [green]. I would love to know what the other two 'houses' were called and if anyone else can remember. [reminds me of Harry Potter]

School funds were paid evry Monday [3 old pence to the school and we always gave money to African famines that happened every year]. The worse was when the priest came into the classes and asked who had took confession and holy communion. I never volunteered any information because I didn't take any after my first holy communion. I wasn't a very good catholic.
Cait Wrote:I think we are all for progress, but when buildings get demolished and no record or photos are saved I find that very sad. I am lucky in that many of my Elder family members took photographs..lol..I still have some of their old cameras.

A few of my uncles had to travel all over for work but the same ones took tons of photos and collected bits and bobs and postcards of old views. Now that the younger generation are trying to complete our family history, its the sorting out of the old pictures and the like..its brilliant.
I always tell friends to ask lots of questions and see if their elder family members have photos of events etc, Fingers crossed some photos of Mayfield Building turn up and maybe some history to add to the thread. cheers Cait

There are 5 photos regarding Mayfield (1 showing building 2 showing ruined building 2 showing schoolkids) on Norman Dunn's site
Just type in Mayfield into his search engine
Just Passing Wrote:There are 5 photos regarding Mayfield (1 showing building 2 showing ruined building 2 showing schoolkids) on Norman Dunn's site
Just type in Mayfield into his search engine
Thanks for posting the photo info JP, but the guy and site you mentioned I will give a miss....our elders still angry at the complaints he made about their donated pics to jarrow forum site..lest said the better..RolleyesSmilecheers Cait
In the gazette tonight is a breavement for a former teacher of Mayfield.

JENNINGS Ann (Washington) Died June 21, aged 76. Former teacher at Mayfield School, Jarrow. After a short illness, bravely borne. A much loved aunt of all the family. May she rest in peace.
Thanks for that info jarraman. She was a first class teacher, witty and sociable, a very good dancer and the only person I couldn't get past, when playing netball. RIP.
joanii Wrote:When I went to Mayfield there used to be a system whereby, good and bad conduct marks were handed out. We also had assemblies every morning with 1 on Friday 3.30pm 'ish, to round off the week.

One Friday pm Miss Baker announced that I had got the record by getting 100 merit marks but I was going to be caned in front of the whole school for getting over 100 bad conduct marks. I tried to 'argue my way out of it' because the 100 merit marks should cancel the 100 odd bad conduct marks...It never worked cos I still got the cane.

And we used to have 4 'houses' I can't remember them all but two of them were Saint Cecilia [yellow]and Saint Hilda [green]. I would love to know what the other two 'houses' were called and if anyone else can remember. [reminds me of Harry Potter]

School funds were paid evry Monday [3 old pence to the school and we always gave money to African famines that happened every year]. The worse was when the priest came into the classes and asked who had took confession and holy communion. I never volunteered any information because I didn't take any after my first holy communion. I wasn't a very good catholic.

When I was at mayfield the teams were called Our Lady of Lourdes (blue) Walsingham (red) Jesmond (green) and Fatima (yellow),