Mayfield
picture of Mayfield Girls mid 30's.

[Image: mayfield.jpg]

Eddie what a smashing photograph, fingers crossed someone sees a mother/grandmother/sister and passes on the names, thank you for posting on site ..makes you wonder how many more photos like this are tucked away..cheers CaitSmile
Mayfield is down on the 1881 census as:
Fern Villa (now called Mayfield Villa)

So it must of been a grand house later used as a school
I went to Mayfield 1957-61. Some of the teachers were 'pupil' teachers as were a number of teachers at that time and earlier. The best teachers were Mrs. Booth, Mrs. Mc Allister & Miss Jennings - Real teachers!

With a friend, I was in charge of the library and we could get away with [murder] not attending some of the lessons by saying we were cleaning/re-organising the library. We spent a lot of time there.

I remember the Reavley's pop lorry making deliveries and the lads leaving bottles of pop for us.

I remember all the other years/classes cooking all sorts of things with the domestic science teacher, Mrs. Dale but my class never got past rock buns, preparing a breakfast tray & scrambled eggs and not much more. Why? I don't know why because everyone in my class were exceptionally, bright.

We were supposed to wear green 'bloomers' but only a few did and I remember at the Store Hall seeing one of the girls dancing away, suddenly twirling around...only to see her bottle green bloomers. I felt so sorry for her but I still couldn't help laughing.

I've got lots of good memories of Mayfield.
:couch2:Mega brilliant post Joanii, lots of smashing memories shared..'thank you' lets hope you have lots more info on your old school that you can post on site. And fingers crossed some other pupils of the school will also share memories and maybe sort out a few old school photos.....cheers CaitSmile
Joanii I think you have just mentioned one of the most embarrassing memories of my life!!! Oh the shame of it. I did exactly what you said at the Store Hall, around 1956ish. One of my first dances. I think we were doing the Gay Gordons or something, and it wasn't till I finished that I saw a couple of lads almost rolling on the floor with laughter, that I realized what I had done. I blush every time I think of it!! :o (they were navy blue)
Its only funny when it happens to someone else and I can't help laughing every time I remember....and....stuffing cotton wool in whirlpool bras [they were the only make you could get at one time cos we couldn't afford to go to Binns] so I didn't look 'flat'.
Cait Wrote::couch2:Mega brilliant post Joanii, lots of smashing memories shared..'thank you' lets hope you have lots more info on your old school that you can post on site. And fingers crossed some other pupils of the school will also share memories and maybe sort out a few old school photos.....cheers CaitSmile

Thanks Cait, when I meet up with certain people from school days it gets hysterical because we always end up talking about the things we did. Once we all bought massive winkle picker shoes but none of us could walk in them so it was like an alcoholic's day out. [not sure if I can/should say that].
I went to Mayfield when I was about 6 or 7 in its last years before demolished. I have very sharp memories of it. The 2 sisters who were teachers I think - real ladies - the old fashioned but quaint classrooms, Sister Theresa! Scary lady! The classrooms in the school yard near the wall - girl guidee huts I think? The big staircase going upstairs with the headmistresses huge room (maybe because I was so small!) I remember it as a beautiful old fashioned school and even when it was demolished I was so sad as I had very happy memories there as a child. It really should have been saved. Anyone have any information as to what before it was a school? My mam remembers it as a very posh house, but she also went there, would have been about 1948? Rosemary Wallace.
jarrowlad Wrote:I went to Mayfield when I was about 6 or 7 in its last years before demolished. I have very sharp memories of it. The 2 sisters who were teachers I think - real ladies - the old fashioned but quaint classrooms, Sister Theresa! Scary lady! The classrooms in the school yard near the wall - girl guidee huts I think? The big staircase going upstairs with the headmistresses huge room (maybe because I was so small!) I remember it as a beautiful old fashioned school and even when it was demolished I was so sad as I had very happy memories there as a child. It really should have been saved. Anyone have any information as to what before it was a school? My mam remembers it as a very posh house, but she also went there, would have been about 1948? Rosemary Wallace.

Yes it was so sad. I came back to Jarrow and was shocked to see the new houses on the site. It should have been a listed building. Even a grade 2. I wonder what happened to the photos and paintings. There was some good stuff there. I left 1961. I was told that years ago it was a monestary, that nuns lived there at another time and that there used to be priest holes. There was some hidie holes in the attic but I doubt if they were priest hole but possible.