Maggie Scott
Maggie Scott had a number of children; from your other post it was Mary Lyons who worked with your mother.

You may be interested to know that there is a superb website with lots of photographs of Joyce Green Isolation Hospital at http://www.workhouses.org.uk/index.html?MAB-JoyceGreen/MAB-JoyceGreen.shtml

kind regards

Patrick
Thanks Patrick, sorry I thought you were talking about M Lyons, I'm slow on the up take Ha.Ha. I'll look that site up thanks again. Teeny
Patrick, Just looked the Joyce Green site up, it's very interesting. Mam and Mary both worked on the men's ward. They were Ward maids and had to keep a whole ward clean just one maid to a ward. It was very hard work 6 a.m - 6 pm and only one day a month off, but Mam liked working there. She said it was better than being in Private service and they were well fed and had plenty companions and the pay was better too. She also said nearly all the maids were from the North and Scotland, all young girls who had been forced to leave home through the depression, but they all got on with each other and had some happy times. Teeny
mpjbrennan Wrote:Maggie Scott was a tall girl, a bit rough, but a likeable character. She was born in Spenser Street, Jarrow, in 1898, the daughter of John and Isabella Scott. She was evidently a bit of a tomboy, and when women's football teams started up in the munition factories during WW1 she came into her own. Maggie played in goal for Palmers, and on Boxing Day 1917 she took part in the first ever Ladies' International at Windsor Park, Belfast, when an English XI defeated an Irish XI by 4 goals to 1. She missed a subsequent international against a Scottish XI in July 1918, but returned in goal for England versus Ireland on 21st September 1918 at St James's Park. This time England won 5-2. She also played a number of matches at County level. Maggie later moved from Palmers to Foster, Blackett and Wilson, and switched to centre forward. She was also the team captain. In the Munitionettes Cup competition of 1918-19 she got a hat trick in their round 1 defeat of Chester-le-Street's "Dainty Dinahs", and scored the only goal in a 1-0 win against Armstrong's 60 Shop at the Pit Heap in Jarrow. In the semi final against her old club Palmers she scored the first goal, but Palmers were stronger, and emerged the winners by 3 goals to 2.

Maggie could spin a good yarn; in her later years she claimed to have been the England goalkeeper for four seasons (they didn't play this long) and to have captained the side. She also claimed to have swum the Tyne as a teenager for a £5 bet, and to have boxed other women on the Pit Heap in Jarrow in the early 1920's. The latter claim is probably true - a travelling fair used to visit the Pit Heap right up until the 1960's, and Maggie's foray into boxing may well have started there. In her 70's she captained Jarrow's Ladies' Darts team, and used to drink in the Commercial. She married a cobbler named Hart who kept a shop in Monkton Terrace, and later married someone named Moorhouse.

Maggie always wore a medal which she claimed to have received when playing for England, but I have my suspicions that she had it made herself. Images of it are attached.

All in all, a larger than life character from old Jarrow.

Patrick

[url="http://www.donmouth.co.uk/medal_reverse.jpg"]
[/url]
Do you know if Maggie had any children as I think I could be living next door to her daughter, now aged 88 and called Dora (Dorothy).
Thanks for your query. Maggie did have a number of children, but I don't know of one called Dora or Dorothy.

Patrick
mpjbrennan Wrote:Thanks for your query. Maggie did have a number of children, but I don't know of one called Dora or Dorothy.

Patrick
My neighbour is definitely Maggie Scott's daughter. It is too much of a coincidence as a few years ago she told me her mother was a famous footballer and her father (an ex blacksmith) had a cobblers shop on Monkton Terrace. I will ask her but I'll have to gear myself up - if I knock on her door at 2.00pm, I'll be lucky to be back in my own home by midnight!!!!!!
That sounds very likely. I would be interested to know if she has any photographs of Maggie. The one I posted came from her grandson Ken Pratt, who used to work at David Glen's in Jarrow.

Patrick
mpjbrennan Wrote:That sounds very likely. I would be interested to know if she has any photographs of Maggie. The one I posted came from her grandson Ken Pratt, who used to work at David Glen's in Jarrow.

Patrick
Yes, that's her, my neighbour's son is called Ken Pratt and according to his mother Ken was in the "construction industry". I went to school with his brother Danny.
It's a small world - I worked with Ken on the Tyne Tunnel when I was a student and he was a foreman joiner.

Patrick
Hi Folks, found the photo of my Mam and Mary Lyons. Mary in the middle my Mam at the right of picture. Joyce Green Hospital Dartford 1920. Teeny.

Attached Files
.jpg   Joyce Green Hospital.jpg (Size: 71.13 KB / Downloads: 20)