Maggie Scott
Maggie Scott was a tall girl, a bit rough, but a likeable character. She was born in Spenser Street, Jarrow, in 1898, the daughter of John and Isabella Scott. She was evidently a bit of a tomboy, and when women's football teams started up in the munition factories during WW1 she came into her own. Maggie played in goal for Palmers, and on Boxing Day 1917 she took part in the first ever Ladies' International at Windsor Park, Belfast, when an English XI defeated an Irish XI by 4 goals to 1. She missed a subsequent international against a Scottish XI in July 1918, but returned in goal for England versus Ireland on 21st September 1918 at St James's Park. This time England won 5-2. She also played a number of matches at County level. Maggie later moved from Palmers to Foster, Blackett and Wilson, and switched to centre forward. She was also the team captain. In the Munitionettes Cup competition of 1918-19 she got a hat trick in their round 1 defeat of Chester-le-Street's "Dainty Dinahs", and scored the only goal in a 1-0 win against Armstrong's 60 Shop at the Pit Heap in Jarrow. In the semi final against her old club Palmers she scored the first goal, but Palmers were stronger, and emerged the winners by 3 goals to 2.

Maggie could spin a good yarn; in her later years she claimed to have been the England goalkeeper for four seasons (they didn't play this long) and to have captained the side. She also claimed to have swum the Tyne as a teenager for a £5 bet, and to have boxed other women on the Pit Heap in Jarrow in the early 1920's. The latter claim is probably true - a travelling fair used to visit the Pit Heap right up until the 1960's, and Maggie's foray into boxing may well have started there. In her 70's she captained Jarrow's Ladies' Darts team, and used to drink in the Commercial. She married a cobbler named Hart who kept a shop in Monkton Terrace, and later married someone named Moorhouse.

Maggie always wore a medal which she claimed to have received when playing for England, but I have my suspicions that she had it made herself. Images of it are attached.

All in all, a larger than life character from old Jarrow.

Patrick

[url="http://www.donmouth.co.uk/medal_reverse.jpg"]
[/url]

Attached Files
.jpg   maggie_scott_002.jpg (Size: 636.87 KB / Downloads: 36)
.jpg   medal_obverse.jpg (Size: 130.63 KB / Downloads: 23)
.jpg   medal_reverse.jpg (Size: 110.79 KB / Downloads: 22)
Great account of this ladies life Patrick.

Did she by any chance used to play Bowls in Hebburn park?
I believe the lady you are remembering was called Beattie Taylor. She too played for Palmers, and was nicknamed Billy Brawn because of her physical approach to the game.

Patrick
Yes great account Patrick
You have done a lot of good research
mpjbrennan Wrote:I believe the lady you are remembering was called Beattie Taylor. She too played for Palmers, and was nicknamed Billy Brawn because of her physical approach to the game.

Patrick

Cheers Patrick, thats a brilliant bit of local info on Maggie Scott, I bet a few more tales like this one will be aired by other members...Smilecheers Cait
Another great Lady footballer was Mary Lions who still has family living in Jarrow. I haven't all her details at hand but will sort them out when I have more time. Mary Scott probably did box on the Pit Heap. I went to school with someone who's Grannie was a Lady Boxer with the fair. " won't reveal the name to save embarassment" as the family is a bit touchy about their past. Be careful what you reveal. Teeny
Hi Teeny,

Mary Lyons was the next page I was going to upload - I'll try to do it later today.

Patrick
That's good Patrick, she and my Mam worked together as young girls in Joyce Green Isolation Hospital, Dartford in the early 1920's. Mam said she was a great character. Teeny
Hi Teeny,

I worked with Maggie's grandson when the Tyne Tunnel was built in the 1960's, and met up with him again much later when I was researching the women footballers. No-one would believe him when he said his Gran played for England!

Patrick
Are you sure he was her Grandson?? Her neice said she never married and had stayed South. I had brought her up in conversation because I have a photo of her and my Mam at the hospital. Thought her neice might like a copy. I can't scan in, just learning computing or you could have it. Teeny