Jim Purcell
The Adventurer Wrote:There would be no finer ambassador for old people everywhere than Jarra Jim. As fisherman says it will be well deserved, he ran his first race the 3rd GNR in 83 at the age of 62 approx and is still going strong.
Hat's off to Jim, he's a true celebrity.

I agree with you wholeheartedly Adventurer Smile
I couldn't think of a finer person to carry the Olympic torch.

Good on you Jarra Jim.
:nod:Yes well done to Jim, when he carries the torch we will all cheer him all the way, well done Jim.:cheer2:
My son raised nearly £15000 last year for TOMMY'S children's charity in one race - the great north run. This year he is doing the London marathon for the same charity but likes to have a theme. Check him out on you tube. Type in - Top Run 2012 and click on Top Run introduction. Canny for an ex-Jarra lad
fisherman Wrote:Seen Jarra Jim this morning while he was out for his jog,I spoke to him for a couple of minute's.I can't remember If he said he was 91 now or coming up to 91,Anyway he say's he's getting his training In for G.N.R. plus he's doing some run for Sport's Relief,He also told me he may be selected to carry olympic torch through South-Tyneside,I think It will be well deserved for all the money Jim has raised for charity's....Well Done Jim..
I read In tonight's gazette that Jarra Jim will be carrying the torch In Wallsend,I was hoping he'd get to carry It through Jarrow.
fisherman Wrote:I read In tonight's gazette that Jarra Jim will be carrying the torch In Wallsend,I was hoping he'd get to carry It through Jarrow.

Yes Sid it's a pity that it wasn't this side of the Tyne but a more deserving case couldn't be found.
We will have to try and make it to Wallsend and take some photo's.
I seen In tonight' Shield's Gazette,Jarra Jim has been awarded A Special Award In Pride Of South Tyneside,He has now completed more than 26 Half Marathon's,Also raising lot's of money for local charity's.......Well Done Jarra Jim..:clap2::clap2::clap2:
Agreed a top man
Hi i worked with him as a lad at Jarrow council,he put in all the roads on the estate oppisit the boldon lad pub,
He was a in the TA and he then left to work for the TA i think
A great guy Mel T
his son Phil and grandson David both served in 105 Plant Sqn at Frenchmans fort