Jarrow quiz 4.
17 pages long the last one. Here is a new thread.

Birdman can you try a new question please.
jarraman Wrote:17 pages long the last one. Here is a new thread.

Birdman can you try a new question please.

Born in 1900, James Hunter Carr was a keen photographer and local historian. Lived on Tyne street close to Curlew road.

Can anyone say what he did to earn a living. Let's have a few guesses before Googling. I will say it's not your usual Tyneside industry. Nowt to do with shipbuilding or mining.
Was he an Artist?
Or
Musician?

Sorry I had to google it...

A Mushroom farmer?
Jade Wrote:Was he an Artist?
Or
Musician?

Correct. I'm still puzzling as to where he carried on this particular enterprise.Smile
He had a mushroom farm in Jarrow. It's on some of the old maps. Even though I admit to googling to get the answer, :oI could have kicked myself for not thinking about it first because I've seen it on the maps a dozen or more times.
Jade Wrote:He had a mushroom farm in Jarrow. It's on some of the old maps. Even though I admit to googling to get the answer, :oI could have kicked myself for not thinking about it first because I've seen it on the maps a dozen or more times.

I only read about him last night in one of Paul Perry's books.
There's a James H. Carr buried in Harton cemetery. Could be one and the same. There's only one listed in the SouthTyneside BMD register.

Your turn to stretch the old grey cells. Big Grin
This one is in two parts:

[1] In what street can we find Jarrow Sea Cadets?

[2] What is Jarrow Sea Cadet's name? ......TS ?
1) Is it Curlew Rd

2) Collingwood?
You're half right, jarrowman. You've got the right location but TS Collingwood is the South Shields Sea Cadets [my old unit].
Curlew Rd.

TS Raleigh I was in there 1952, Remember Commander Rowell & PO Loui Bamford