Jarrow War Rolls.
Some good info on here Just Passing
I have sent you an email on
http://www.jarrow-war-roll.webs.com/
As for some reason I cannot pm you on here?

I have a name and details for you to add to the WW1 section

Keep up the good work bonny lad
I'm sorry to be so vague on this but I seem to remember Jarrow History group, (amongst others probably) campaigning for some kind of war roll? I did have a newspaper cutting where they asked people to come forward with names that should be included and a plaque was commisioned. I seem to remember that it was erected (maybe Boldon Lane Tyne Dock?) then because it was being vandalised it was moved inside to Patrick Cain House, South Eldon Street South Shields. (I did have a poor photo of this somewhere) Sorry if I'm way off the mark with this but some of it must be true! I couldn't have imagined it all could I? :o
I thought that people who have posted on here might be interested.
May your troubles be less, your blessings be more, nothing but happiness come through your door.
i had an uncle george fondos who was in jarrow's home gaurd one of his friend's asked him to swap a shift with him that night jarrow was bombed and my uncle was killed in the mercantile dry dock by a incendiary bomb he was 18 years old i will have to up date this information with the exact date's the next time i visit his grave in jarrow cem
Tilly Wrote:I'm sorry to be so vague on this but I seem to remember Jarrow History group, (amongst others probably) campaigning for some kind of war roll? I did have a newspaper cutting where they asked people to come forward with names that should be included and a plaque was commisioned. I seem to remember that it was erected (maybe Boldon Lane Tyne Dock?) then because it was being vandalised it was moved inside to Patrick Cain House, South Eldon Street South Shields. (I did have a poor photo of this somewhere) Sorry if I'm way off the mark with this but some of it must be true! I couldn't have imagined it all could I? :o
I thought that people who have posted on here might be interested.
iwas in Patrick Cain house today and saw the plaque it is dedicated to the men from Frederick st area who were in ww1.I'm going back tomorrow I'll try and get a pic.

Thanks Ted, I'm glad that I didn't imagine it! It would be a shame if it was forgotten about. Tilly
May your troubles be less, your blessings be more, nothing but happiness come through your door.
You can find Civilian War Dead on the Commonwealth War Grave Commission Site.
Nicholas George Fondas was 18 when he died, on 9/10th April 1941, at the Mercantile docks in Jarrow.

This was the same day /raid when Sheldon Street was bombed.

He lived at 71 High Street, Jarrow and is buried in Jarrow

Common War Grave Commission link
http://www.cwgc.org/search-for-war-dead/casualty/3104638/FONDAS,%20NICHOLAS%20GEORGE
tedg Wrote:iwas in Patrick Cain house today and saw the plaque it is dedicated to the men from Frederick st area who were in ww1.I'm going back tomorrow I'll try and get a pic.
here's the pic not very good had to grab it quick.
[Image: IMG_0803.jpg]

jarraman Wrote:Found this interesting web page with the list of people from jarrow from both World Wars.

http://www.jarrow-war-roll.webs.com/

Here's another one about Palmers

http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Durham/JarrowPalmers.html

Many thanks to Martin Edwards who researched and transcribed the information.

Just came across this, as its nearly the anniversary of WW1 and its about the Zeplin raids on Palmers:
The L10 Zeppelin with Commander Hirsch made landfall just north of Blyth near the Wansbeck River, and then turned south towards the Tyne. Hirsch firstly bombed the North Eastern Marine Engineering works at Willington Quay, Wallsend. His observers reported that on the left there were blast furnaces, a winding river and many industrial plants. He relied on his observers since the newly trialled radio navigation was not effective. The Commander perceived he was under fire from shore batteries, and probably immediately crossed the river, bombed the Hebburn colliery, lined up the lights of the Palmers' blast furnaces and their Engineering Works for a straight bombing run. Perhaps the two reports which an inquest witness later reported, were actually bombs on the blast furnaces? This witness then said that half a minute later there were 14 reports…. perhaps the 7 explosive bombs and 5 incendiaries which were said to have been dropped on Palmers engineering construction department, killing 16 workmen. Hirsch then continued on an arc across the river to bomb the chemical plants at Howdon near Willington Quay (Cookson's Antimony Works and Pochin's Chemical Works). The L10 went out to sea via South Shields, leaving a scenic railway ablaze near the Harton colliery staithes (coal loading piers).

For much more information and maps on these raids pleas follow the link http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=160910

I think many of you will find it of great interest?
there are plaques at the bingo hall in Dean Road South Shields ,
B&M Jarrow bus station,
but not a plaque in memory of the ARP staff killed in October 1941 when their station ,in Glen Street Hebburn, received a direct hit.
Was there ever such a plaque?