Jarrow - The Not So Good Bits
There was a canny big grass fire near the allotments tonight saw the fire brigade arriving around 7-30.
LoshT Wrote:Another woollies photo with some names (1947)

Back row from left to right
Mrs Sparks, D Morris, P Lawson, J Birbeck, M Flynn, M, Murphy, E Nesbitt, P, Harrison, M Stratford, H Trotter, J Murphy, A Walker, N Mercer, M Livinstone (friend of the family), My Mum Lily Riach

Front row
N Blakey, m Laughton, M Convery, B Overton, I Bennett, M Laidler, T Hamilton, T Nesbit and S Jones

A great photo, LoshT. One definate relation of mine and one possible relative.

any chance I could have a copy of this photo, please? I honestly, didn't know there was a woolies in market square. Great.
(24 Aug 09, 6:25 PM)jarraman Wrote:  
LoshT Wrote:I what about the first woolies in jarra, in market square. Attached one of me mam's photos when she worked there.

Any names to go with the faces Losh?

Is that lost Taylor? Cool Cool Cool
Sorry, that should have beet Losh!
My mam lived for over 40 years opposite valley view park. We spent many a day in there, lived in that place. Seen the state of it now? The council should try taking pride in its town, disgraceful! 
(01 Aug 15, 11:23 PM)spin mac Wrote:  My mam lived for over 40 years opposite valley view park. We spent many a day in there, lived in that place. Seen the state of it now? The council should try taking pride in its town, disgraceful! 

Haven't seen it for my self but, apparently they're putting it right.

(25 Aug 09, 11:34 PM)tedg Wrote:  
staffy Wrote:I used to love going in woolies on a Sat and looking at the toys. Sadly Poundstretchers did the same line of business,and when woolies took on JMB they really went downhill.

The bestshop in Jarrow for me was Dalglies or Daglish's. The big toyshop on western road. I loved their Christmas displays, especially the Hornby railway sets and their great collection of Airfix models

Later on in Life John Maclean took over from the coop or was it Burtons.
I worked their for about 8 months before joining the Junior Soldiers.

In fact I worked in the Empire cinema for two weeks as a trinee projectionist. Saw the Magnificent 7 about 14 times.
Me dad used work at Daglease before the war.He loved working there.His jobs included delivering and charging glass batteries for radios,Mending bikes,serving in the shop and repairing wind up Gramaphones one of which I have with daglease name plate on it

TedG, your download has not worked, can you send it again.
St James Park till the day I die.