Jarrow - The Not So Good Bits
To me the worst thing that ever happened to Jarra was they created South Tyneside. We seemed to lose our identity as a town, our famous baths and the Sandies seemed to get everything (no it's not sour grapes just seemed like it at the time).
SmileI can remember friends and family complaining when they changed the postal address from say Jarrow or Hebburn County Durham...to Tyne and Wear...cheers Cait
They took away our identity
Bazza899 Wrote:They took away our identity

So very true Bazza, so very true cheers Cait
The vandalism. My little playpen was Valley View park. Hundreds of people enjoyed their summers here.

To be honest it is now a dump.

This whole park was donated by Sir John Jarvis to the people of Jarrow.

The only thing he asked for was it to be kept in good shape.

The lads who worked on it got a new pair of boots and a good feed.

The state of it now can only be described as outrageous.

I only hope a certain Patrick Brennan will join this site and explain to us whats happened to our beloved park.

I'm sure he will if someone gives him a nudge.

Come on Patrick share your Jarrow knowledge
here here jarraman:whoo:
One who asks a question is a fool for five minutes; one who does not ask a question remains a fool forever
Bazza899 Wrote:To me the worst thing that ever happened to Jarra was they created South Tyneside. We seemed to lose our identity as a town, our famous baths and the Sandies seemed to get everything (no it's not sour grapes just seemed like it at the time).
I hear this so many times me Dad used to hit me with this time and time again.and yet if you work in the public sector and see what jarrow had compared to the sandies its no wonder they seem to get everything.I was once told by my superintendant that if I wanted to get on in my career. All I had to do was join Jarrow Labour party and Primrose Community Center and I would be made for life in South Tyneside.Can't for a minute understand this.
Although I had many a great time playing there I must say the dump was a very bad place. Right next to housing, the smell of burning cars, rotten fruit etc.

This was all cleared by 1972 but I wonder what the long term damage is/was to peoples health?
Detremental to the bird life too. The marshland that was there before the dump covered it was home for blackcaps, whitethroats, reed buntings, moor hens, snipe and that's just the birds. what about the amphibians and insect life such as the dragonflies and damsel flies to name but two.

I believe black-headed gulls also nested there in small numbers.

Mostly gone now exept for a few moorhens.
Hopefully with the introduction of the Primrose nature reserve these birds and more will return. There is loads of tall reed beds at the moment and these most be inviting habitat for a number of birds.

Birdman is this your profession now? Maybe you can get on to the council and plan a bird habitat for the area.