Jarrow - The Not So Good Bits
Continuing on from this thread.

As much as we all love canny old Jarra:clap2:, like everywhere else, it has it's bad points. More than others?:confused:, let's see.

This thread is all about the not so good bits of Jarrow - what is it about the area that you don't like so much?

Well I would kick things off but as I haven't lived in the area for almost 9 years, my observations may be out of date so I'll let someone else go first.
You can take the lad out of Jarrow but you can't take Jarrow out of the lad.
Poor wages,no matter were you went. Bad housing thats when Newmarch st and Potter st were still standing.

The bus station on a Saturday night was always dodgy.

Having said that theirs not really much I thought was bad.
Oh I forgot,the fact their is a pawnshp in the town is a bit of a surprise,and a sad indictment of life in the town today.
St James Park till the day I die.
I miss shopping in old Woolworths and the Coop Store..Sad
Yeah, used to love Woolies, they had anything you could possibly ever need. Co-op was always good for doing the Saturday shop cos you could usually park your car pretty close to the rear entrance.Big Grin
You can take the lad out of Jarrow but you can't take Jarrow out of the lad.
I used to love going in woolies on a Sat and looking at the toys. Sadly Poundstretchers did the same line of business,and when woolies took on JMB they really went downhill.

The bestshop in Jarrow for me was Dalglies or Daglish's. The big toyshop on western road. I loved their Christmas displays, especially the Hornby railway sets and their great collection of Airfix models

Later on in Life John Maclean took over from the coop or was it Burtons.
I worked their for about 8 months before joining the Junior Soldiers.

In fact I worked in the Empire cinema for two weeks as a trinee projectionist. Saw the Magnificent 7 about 14 times.
St James Park till the day I die.
Admin Wrote:Yeah, used to love Woolies, they had anything you could possibly ever need. Co-op was always good for doing the Saturday shop cos you could usually park your car pretty close to the rear entrance.Big Grin

I what about the first woolies in jarra, in market square. Attached one of me mam's photos when she worked there.

Attached Files
.jpg   woolworths.jpg (Size: 49.36 KB / Downloads: 62)
LoshT Wrote:I what about the first woolies in jarra, in market square. Attached one of me mam's photos when she worked there.

Any names to go with the faces Losh?
LoshT Wrote:I what about the first woolies in jarra, in market square. Attached one of me mam's photos when she worked there.

Another woollies photo with some names (1947)

Back row from left to right
Mrs Sparks, D Morris, P Lawson, J Birbeck, M Flynn, M, Murphy, E Nesbitt, P, Harrison, M Stratford, H Trotter, J Murphy, A Walker, N Mercer, M Livinstone (friend of the family), My Mum Lily Riach

Front row
N Blakey, m Laughton, M Convery, B Overton, I Bennett, M Laidler, T Hamilton, T Nesbit and S Jones

Attached Files
.jpg   woolworths2.jpg (Size: 140.11 KB / Downloads: 48)
staffy Wrote:I used to love going in woolies on a Sat and looking at the toys. Sadly Poundstretchers did the same line of business,and when woolies took on JMB they really went downhill.

The bestshop in Jarrow for me was Dalglies or Daglish's. The big toyshop on western road. I loved their Christmas displays, especially the Hornby railway sets and their great collection of Airfix models

Later on in Life John Maclean took over from the coop or was it Burtons.
I worked their for about 8 months before joining the Junior Soldiers.

In fact I worked in the Empire cinema for two weeks as a trinee projectionist. Saw the Magnificent 7 about 14 times.
Me dad used work at Daglease before the war.He loved working there.His jobs included delivering and charging glass batteries for radios,Mending bikes,serving in the shop and repairing wind up Gramaphones one of which I have with daglease name plate on it

Attached Files
.jpg   recordlabel.jpg (Size: 476.11 KB / Downloads: 17)