Jarrow Mayors
Great minds Eh.but I didn'tlike to sayBig Grin

tedg, you should always look on the bright side. You can't beat a wee bit fun. You'll find it keeps you young in later life.
Hi there,

Harry Duggan was my granda. Thank you for the kind words about Jarraman, they mean alot. I currently live in Manchester but I have photos of him back in Gateshead and my nanna who is still living in Jarrow has plenty. We would be very interested in sharing them with you.

thanks,

Gavin Duggan

If anyone would like to email me regarding this, my address is gavin.duggan@gmail.com
Cheers Gavin. You must be Terrys son.

Would love to share your Granda Harrys photos on this site.

Did you know your grandad was a snooker shark?

Good man though. Only kidding.
Gavin Duggan Wrote:Hi there,

Harry Duggan was my granda. Thank you for the kind words about Jarraman, they mean alot. I currently live in Manchester but I have photos of him back in Gateshead and my nanna who is still living in Jarrow has plenty. We would be very interested in sharing them with you.

thanks,

Gavin Duggan

If anyone would like to email me regarding this, my address is "gavin.duggan@gmail.com"
Hi Gavin,I asked your Nana a while ago to borrow some photo's of your Granda & she said she was going to sort some out to lend me, to put on this site.
Truly the Jarrow Life site is amazing looking forward to seeing new photos from yesteryear...cheers CaitSmile
My mother always says she is sure we are related somehow to 1967 Councillor Henry Duggan, I am researching my family tree (just started yesterday lol) and if anyone has any family info for this guy would be very grateful.
We are awaiting a reply off Gavin. He will have access to lots of Harrys photos.
Hi I am just starting to research my family history, and I know that my gt grandad John William Gordon was mayor of Jarrow - from your earlier post I see this ties up with William Gordon 1930/31. I wondered if anyone has any more information (or even a photo of him?) The 1911 census has him as a ship plater living in Wansbeck Road.
Thanks for any help!
wizzyh Wrote:Hi I am just starting to research my family history, and I know that my gt grandad John William Gordon was mayor of Jarrow - from your earlier post I see this ties up with William Gordon 1930/31. I wondered if anyone has any more information (or even a photo of him?) The 1911 census has him as a ship plater living in Wansbeck Road.
Thanks for any help!

Councillor William Gordon
Mayor 1930 and 1931

Feel free to add any other info you have on him .....................

For photos
You could try asking:

South Tyneside Council
http://www.southtyneside.info/CorporateFeedback/council.aspx

Mind I cannot see them offering anymore info than I've added below?

Jarrow and Hebburn Local History Society
Telephone 01914193172
Meetings every Wednesday morning 10.00 - 12.00
Mid -Tyne Activity Centre, Grange Road, Jarrow

Shields Gazette
http://www.shieldsgazette.com/

In the Local History part of South Shields Library
Prince Georg Square, South Shields
They have all copies of the Shields Gazette
From 1849 to the present on Microfilm
Book a Microfilm reader 0191 427 1717 (All free but have to be booked)

It will probably take a novice about a week to go through 2 years Gazettes
from 1930 to 1932
Periods of office for Mayor are May one year to May the next
So May 1930 to May 1932 your looking for

Well worth it if you imagine what your going to find i.e. Mayoral visits, Town Hall meetings etc ......
Photos
If you find a photo in the newspaper (on microfilm) they will be bad prints that you can only print off (they charge for that)
So contact the Shields Gazette above with the newspaper date (i.e. full date, page, name)
They normally can run you a good photo print off (they will charge you)

Good Luck
A bumper full of knowledge waiting to be explored
well worth the time and effort ...........................