Jarrow Central School.
Great photograph, thanks
(23 Sep 09, 10:16 PM)jarraman Wrote:  I was in the very last intake in 1973.  We were there 2 years before being transferred to Springfield.  

Nothing against Springfield but I never settled there.  Missed the old school.   Had to get used to a whole load of new teachers as well.

Pete, remember all of these buggers!! Wilf doing the PE and Brass Neck Rooney for metal work! Bennet was a little git, who also took the football team over the railway track as I recall. Mr Hopwood was a very stern HM, but a gentle gent in reality. Bohill was easy in maths as log as you got him talking about creating stuff in his kiln! Springfield was different, but I guess that was the move to comps. Central were old school, but nothing wrong with that in a lot of ways. You knew where you stood. Mind you, some of them were smack happy. I was sorry to leave, but the place was run into the ground. Strange when you look how well past pupils of the "old" side have done. Something worked.

Stu
Hahaha Bennet.  I got the wacky jacky off him right on the a@@e.  Little this bit of wood.   It stung like hell.
There was an art teacher at Springfield who drove a SAAB. He had a bit of wood as well! I remember Mr Minto the English teacher who gave me my love of books, Mr Johnson(?) biology and another Johnstone, (who did PE, and was a waste of space). There was Bennet the history teacher with the beard, and W
Wilf Wardle who I saw a few times in the Nelson in Monkton Village. I think some of the Central school teachers were a bit frustrated with the move to Springfield. Apart from Mrs Zenner who gave me a dressing down for "snogging" girls at a party! How did she know? Great girl, (I can say that now I'm the same age!), so to speak.