Hedworth Hall, The Harris and Ablett Families
Hello to all Jarrow historians,

I am researching my family ancestry and would be most grateful if you could assist me with the following.

I have just registered today. Although I am not from Jarrow or the North East, my mother, Jennie Harris, was born in Hedworth Hall in 1923. It was then part of the village of Hedworth.

I know that the hall burnt down sometime in the 1960s/70s, but I would welcome any information or recollections anyone may still have of the hall and what happened to it from the 1930s to its destruction.

My Grandfather and Nanna, Frederick John Harris and Annie Harris (nee Douglas), purchased the hall sometime between 1912 and 1922 and they stayed there until his death in 1932. He was a boiler shop riveter at Palmers shipyard. ( Don't know how they could afford to buy the Hall on those wages, but that's another question to research ). They'd moved there from 3 Henry Street.

His oldest son was also called Frederick and eventually settled in Dove Avenue. I remember as a child in the 1960s standing at the end of the avenue with my mother, looking over the dean and her telling me that the hall was where she was born.

I have also lost touch with some family relatives called Ablett, who lived in the Prudhoe Grove and Featherstone Grove area in the 60s. Please does anybody know them or their whereabouts? It would be great to make contact again. Unfortunately I now live in the south midlands, ( I know, someone has to live there, poor me ), so it's just a bit too far to travel without some information to go on.

Any information on Hedworth Hall or the Ablett family would be of immense interest to me, so please respond if you are able to assist.

Many thanks to all who read this,

Cheers,
BaldEagle
Hi Bald Eagle...I do know someone with the surname of Ablett, If I see him or his wife while I'm out and about I'll see If they might be a related to you or not.....

Here's a pic of Hedworth hall when it was a plant nursery.

Thank you so much Fisherman and Tedg for your quick replies. I only logged out about 10 last night.
The photo's of the Hall are really great to have.

I sent a direct mail to Letmein5, the poet and philosopher on Jarrow Life, he wrote a poem some time ago which mentioned the Hall and the Harris family. He obviously knew about them living in the hall even though they left before the outbreak of the second world war.

I was told by my Mum that Grandad Harris also ran a fruit and vegetable market garden from the Hall whilst still working for Palmers.
Mum played on Jarrow Slacks and around the Tyne Dock as a child. I remember all the bridges and train lines which ran down to the river and shipyards. All gone now, I know, but very fond memories of my childhood visiting the Tannerhill family on Langley Terrace.

Thanks again for your knowledge and help, maybe more members may have some information or recollections. I will treasure the photo's.

Thanks, Bonny Lads

Here is my Mum, Jennie Harris, on the steps of the Hall, circa 1931.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Glad to help....Here's how It look's around  Jarrow slack's now...It's changed quite a lot over the year's...P.S. Lovely photo of your mam..

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks once again Fisherman. Nice photo's to put into my albums.

Freddie Nellist wrote to me yesterday. He remembers playing with my Mum and having tea at the Hall. What a fantastic outcome. I only wish I knew about Jarrow Life 5 years ago and not just this week. Freddie also remembers the Abletts. He seemed as pleased as I was for us to make contact with each other. His family home was just a couple of hundred yards from my Mums. Of course, there were hardly any other houses there at the time, (mid 1930s), just the Robin Hood across Leam Lane. How different now.

Thanks again, I am going to try and keep in touch with Freddie and hope he can fill some more gaps for me. He is a wonderful man, I feel I know him, even though I only came upon him two days ago.

All the best, hope you bump into one of the Abletts sometime.

Thanks Bonny Lad,
Good to hear the good new's of all the Info you're getting....I'm sure Freddie will fill you In with any more Info,I don't know how he remember's everything,He's got a real good memory,I forget thing's that happened last week... Big Grin ,If you'd like any more pic's just private message your e-mail address to me then I'll see what I can sort out for you.....
Hello BaldEagle and welcome to the site, they are a great crowd of people who post on this site,so I hope you will keep on popping in and adding any comments or bit of interesting chat Cool
Hi Mary, Thanks for those kind words.  Wink

No need to tell me how great Jarra folk are Mary, I have always known. Sadly, I was born and raised in York over 60 years ago, ( not the worst of places mind you ), but Mum was a Jarra Lass and I spent many many days as a kid visiting family and friends in the area. I must have been a little popular with my Aunts & Uncles because they always wanted me to do the 'first footing' on New Years Eve. Pieces of coal and some greenery. Didn't like all that kissing me when I stepped over the doorway, but fond memeories all the same.

So there is a little Geordie in me somewhere.  'You can take the kid out of Jarra, but you'll never take Jarra out of the kid.

Yes, a great bunch of people here.

Thanks again Mary,
BaldEagle
(14 Nov 14, 4:13 PM)BaldEagle Wrote:  Hi Mary, Thanks for those kind words.  Wink

No need to tell me how great Jarra folk are Mary, I have always known. Sadly, I was born and raised in York over 60 years ago, ( not the worst of places mind you ), but Mum was a Jarra Lass and I spent many many days as a kid visiting family and friends in the area. I must have been a little popular with my Aunts & Uncles because they always wanted me to do the 'first footing' on New Years Eve. Pieces of coal and some greenery. Didn't like all that kissing me when I stepped over the doorway, but fond memeories all the same.

So there is a little Geordie in me somewhere.  'You can take the kid out of Jarra, but you'll never take Jarra out of the kid.

Yes, a great bunch of people here.

Thanks again Mary,
BaldEagle