Guthrie the Bakers - Bede Burn Rd.
I am in the process of uploading some photographs belonging to the late Bill and Mary Guthrie. They used to have a Bakers shop on Bede Burn Rd.

Would anyone like to give their memories of the shop?
i don't have many memories of the shop but they did live above it,he had a old car in the back, could have been a citroen? our part of the family were the wanderers,so we never came up north very much
ian g
Got lots more photohraph of Bill and Mary. Will post later.
thanks she was the mary poppins to our family, . i take it that your mary's side of family. they used to send chocolate selections and 10bob notes for birthdays and christmases. i did stay with them for a while and went to school round the corner very vague memory. ianSmile
One of the best things about this forum is how many memories are stirred its lovely..Mention old parts of Jarrow and Hebburn and some of my elders talk for ages, how things have changed...brilliant when the youngsters listen in to conversations..:clap2:cheers Cait
Is this the shop that was almost opposite Belsfield? If so, Miss Finnigan used to send one of us there every day to buy her (bread?). (Maybe Mary can confirm this?) The only reason I remember it is because they used to take farthings. That's the only shop that I ever remember spending a farthing in.
Yes that's the shop Pat.

Lots of photographs of Bill and Mary Guthrie.
Pat Wrote:Is this the shop that was almost opposite Belsfield? If so, Miss Finnigan used to send one of us there every day to buy her (bread?). (Maybe Mary can confirm this?) The only reason I remember it is because they used to take farthings. That's the only shop that I ever remember spending a farthing in.

I was never sent to the shops for nellie Pat,but then again I used to keep my head down as I was terrified of her. :redface::redface::redface:
Still holding back lots of photos of the Guthrie photos.
jarraman Wrote:Still holding back lots of photos of the Guthrie photos.
Ha-way and get them on site..Smile