Growing up on the scotch Estate.
I always had a fantastic time when I was growing up:

Knockie 9 doors, dilevo [spelling?] multikitti, nicking bontie stuff off neighbouring estates and getting ours nicked, duffas down the burn and shouting 'cops' at the top of my voice to watch the men playing toss ha'penny run like hell. Dead funny.

My dad used to send me and my brother to the bookies. [Inverness Rd] Eventually, I used to be the one to go. One day, one of his bets 'came up'. It was a yankie. He would have got about £20... if I had put the bet on but I had kept the money as I had done, for weeks. He should have know why I volunteered to take the bets. He never caught me, like.

After carol singing one year we divied up and got more than a fiver each [7 of us] only for 2 of the mothers take the money. We laughed for weeks after - stupid, they shouldn't have said nowt.

I wonder if anyone remembers the air raid shelter down the back of the lakes estate. The older lads found rusty helmets and rifles with bayonets. It was the talk of the estate for a while. Another time they found a huge crate of theatrical gear and dressed up in All kind of hats and clothes. They were dead funny
Where did you live on the scotch estate.I lived at the top of Stirling near the bus stop.

tedg Wrote:Where did you live on the scotch estate.I lived at the top of Stirling near the bus stop.

Lanark Drive. I used to hang around with a few lasses who lived on Stirling.
Did you know the Taylors fron Selkirk street?

We were once at the burn with my dad and my uncle.My uncle was larking around and tripped me up.Ifoud a load of half crowns in the grass.I think a pitch and toss school must have been disturbed by the polis.I kept all the money by the way me uncle was livid.Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

tedg Wrote:We were once at the burn with my dad and my uncle.My uncle was larking around and tripped me up.Ifoud a load of half crowns in the grass.I think a pitch and toss school must have been disturbed by the polis.I kept all the money by the way me uncle was livid.Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

Some good times, eh? Thats the name! I got mixed up and called it toss ha' penny. dunno where I got that name from. My mother tried to make me stay away from the burn on sundays when the men used to gamble after they came out of the pub.I used to say I was elewhere but still went to watch.
tedg Wrote:Did you know the Taylors fron Selkirk street?

How old are the children now?
The oldest Thomas 61.Margaret 60.Lawrence.Catherine, David, John,Robert,Bernadette50

tedg Wrote:The oldest Thomas 61.Margaret 60.Lawrence.Catherine, David, John,Robert,Bernadette50

Yes I remember them. What school/s did they got to? I was in a Protestant school, St. Peter's until I was 11 then went to Mayfield. I knew a lot of people from Croft Tce school and Ellison school as well.
they were catholics so lad went st bedes and the lasses mayfield.