Gardening.
I've got a new lease on life since I restarted gardening. I've now got my greenhouse up and thanks to fisherman I have mature tomatoes plants and I've started off a late variety of tomatoes, cucumbers and chillies. Late in the season but I cheated a bit. By gently scraping the seeds of cucumbers, I have spurred them on to propagate faster and yes, after only 1 day the shoots are breaking through. Amazing! I learnt this off youtube.

If I hadn't started so late in the year I would have grown a lot more fruit, veg and flowers and entered them in local flower shows. So this year I will have to pass but I will be on the ball for next year and make sure I find out where all the shows are being held. My garden isn't in the best of shape this year but by next year I will have fully, prepared the soil and it will be up and running perfectly.

In the past, I have grown leeks for cooking only but I'm determined to learn how to grow show leeks. New raised beds will help me, I think and for next year I'm installing a fruit cage for strawberries, gooseberries and black berries. My cherry tree, cooking apple and rhubarb are all doing well. I might even try my hand at making jam.

Next year, maybe a chicken run!
WOW!  Good for you Joan.  That should keep you fit!
I think I'm great if I can trim a bit hedge.
(10 Jun 15, 1:11 PM)Joan Wrote:  I've got a new lease on life since I restarted gardening. I've now got my greenhouse up and thanks to fisherman I have mature tomatoes plants and I've started off a late variety of tomatoes, cucumbers and chillies. Late in the season but I cheated a bit. By gently scraping the seeds of cucumbers, I have spurred them on to propagate faster and yes, after only 1 day the shoots are breaking through. Amazing! I learnt this off youtube.

If I hadn't started so late in the year I would have grown a lot more fruit, veg and flowers and entered them in local flower shows. So this year I will have to pass but I will be on the ball for next year and make sure I find out where all the shows are being held. My garden isn't in the best of shape this year but by next year I will have fully, prepared the soil and it will be up and running perfectly.

In the past, I have grown leeks for cooking only but I'm determined to learn how to grow show leeks. New raised beds will help me, I think and for next year I'm installing a fruit cage for strawberries, gooseberries and black berries. My cherry tree, cooking apple and rhubarb are all doing well. I might even try my hand at making jam.

Next year, maybe a chicken run!

Well done Joan you're doing a grand job there.  Be interesting to see where the local Leek shows are going to be held next year.  Lord Nelson comes to mind but not sure if there is anymore.  Maybe Neon.  Anyway keep up the good work. Smile
Dougie I think Monkton is about the only flower/leek show in the area now. Sad.
Pat I'm crawling along at a snails pace.

If it's ok with everyone I'm going to try and keep this thread going so I can shout for help now and again. If I could suss out how to add photos I would do something like a picture board - Before and after.
Yes carry on with your hard work Joan and I was more than happy to get the tomato plant's for you....Hope all your plant's do well....
(10 Jun 15, 9:51 PM)Joan Wrote:  Dougie I think Monkton is about the only flower/leek show in the area now. Sad.

If it's ok with everyone I'm going to try and keep this thread going so I can shout for help now and again. If I could suss out how to add photos I would do something like a picture board - Before and after.

Keep your eye on the suckers Joan.  They are shoots that grow inbetween stalks.  They take all the water and goodness from the plant.  You can just nip them out.
  Hi Joan nice to see you back hope you are keeping better, I haven't done much in my garden ether this year I even had to buy my sweet pea plants this year as I had left it to late to start my own..but I have just put in some beetroot so I will wait and see how they come on.birdman gives me lots of help with my gardening problems I did get a few stalks off my rhubarb, which as you know I have been trying to grow for about five year, it looks as if it has at last taken so here's  hopeing I get a bit more next year. Hebburn buffs has a leek show later in the year,
(11 Jun 15, 10:30 AM)jarraman Wrote:  
(10 Jun 15, 9:51 PM)Joan Wrote:  Dougie I think Monkton is about the only flower/leek show in the area now. Sad.

Keep your eye on the suckers Joan.  They are shoots that grow inbetween stalks.  They take all the water and goodness from the plant.  You can just nip them out.
Righto Dougie. Done that and now trying to pot them on. Hope it works. It's amazing what you can learn on youtube and advice from experts!!
[I've tried responding to posts but my replies are not being recorded so I'm trying 'new reply' to see if that will help] ..... It worked.

Thanks, Mary. I'm glad to be back.

I'm glad your rhubarb is coming along. Rhubarb crumble and custard. Mm. Home grown beetroot is tastier than bought and sweet peas are one of my favourite flowers. It's good to get advice/help off others. I would have blindly gone on and made the same mistakes if I didn't get help. Well that's two leek shows for next year. Ha ha. I better put my money where my mouth is and make sure I have things growing for next year.