Future development around Saxon way area.
I've only heard of this, this evening. No doubt residents within this area will know far more than myself. (apologies, thread wise if its been crossed).

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/news/local-news/helping-residents-on-to-homes-ladder-1-6309047
I know this sounds selfish but does this mean the end of the Waxwings?
jarraman Wrote:I know this sounds selfish but does this mean the end of the Waxwings?
It's looking like just new building work taking place on the land near here. I've been in contact with a few officials from different orgs .etc. including the council and by what Iv'e been told there's only a few tree's in the area that will be removed. What I found more disturbing with these inquires was-because most of the tree's within the area are not native and the fact that the Thrushes and Waxwings are only Winter visitors here mainly,there's little protection for these tree's around the housing estate.Sad even if this housing estate has produced vast numbers of these species over the years.
ST's official page for this development.

http://poppy.southtyneside.gov.uk/Northgate/PlanningExplorer/Generic/StdDetails.aspx?PT=Planning%20Applications%20On-Line&TYPE=PL/PlanningPK.xml&PARAM0=710670&XSLT=/Northgate/PlanningExplorer/SiteFiles/Skins/Default_AA/xslt/PL/PLDetails.xslt&FT=Planning%20Application%20Details&PUBLIC=Y&XMLSIDE=/Northgate/PlanningExplorer/SiteFiles/Skins/Default_AA/Menus/PL.xml&DAURI=PLANNING

Would be great to think the new developers have pencilled in planting berry producing trees for future generations to enjoy. Maybe with native one's this time.Wink
It has also been proven that trees planted in towns help to remove a lot of the pollution in the air from cars etc.So why are the council not replacing the trees it is cutting down in the town where they are needed.

jarraman Wrote:I know this sounds selfish but does this mean the end of the Waxwings?
It would be a shame to loose all those trees in Saxon Way but 600 metres away along the Slake Road is an abundance of Sea Buckthorn trees with succulent orange berries which the waxwings and fieldfares won't let go to waste. they are also a source of a certain caterpillar which only feeds on buckthorn.
Birdman Wrote:It would be a shame to loose all those trees in Saxon Way but 600 metres away along the Slake Road is an abundance of Sea Buckthorn trees with succulent orange berries which the waxwings and fieldfares won't let go to waste. they are also a source of a certain caterpillar which only feeds on buckthorn.

Sea buckthorn berries aren't exactly a favourite with our winter visitors.
It is a shame if we loose the trees in Saxon way but we still have River Don Valley.This is great for winter thrushes and myself and Paul Clinton have seen upto 600,Waxwing feeding on the berries here in the past.